Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ugly ceiling problem

Posted by honugirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 22:41

I have kitchen cabinets that go all the way up to the ceiling. Ideally, I'd like to replace the old white stuff with a new ceiling but I'm thinking the cabinets would need to be removed. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make my 60 year old ceiling less of an eyesore without removing the cabinets? Is wallpaper a crazy idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ugly ceiling problem

Why do you think your cabinets would need removing? The contractors might carefully remove molding, but not cabinets.

o

What's the matter with the ceiling that a new paint job won't fix? Yes it can be wallpapered, I do it all the time but it is not an easy job for the typical homeowner.

o

Oh, my, I would hope you don't wallpaper the ceiling! Thinking ahead five or ten years, maybe less, you or the next owner will rue the day it was done when it becomes dusty, dirty or just tiresome and needs to be removed. Please, oh, please just paint the ceiling. If it is textured popcorn type, do some advance research on how to paint it. There are considerations with that type. But I guess it is smooth or you wouldn't be thinking of wallpaper....

o

...and if it's a popcorn ceiling, make sure you test for asbestos first before disturbing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Popcorn ceilings and asbestos

o

Aloha to all who replied. I should provide more information on my ugly ceiling. It's made of 4X6 ft. panels of canic that are staggered in placement. Its the area of the joined panels that is the eyesore. The top of my cabinets are 3 inches from the ceiling and topped with a moulding that touches the ceiling.
This forum has the spirit of ohana(family). Mahalo for your suggestions and advice.

o

OK, island gal, I give. What is canic? I googled and found an urban dictionary definition that doesn't fit the context - the word can be used as a pretty cool insult of sorts.

Shooting in the dark since I am not at all familiar with canic material, I wonder if you can use dry wall tape and joint compound to cover the seams as would be done with sheetrock (dry wall)?

o

I think I figured out what she has for a ceiling. Ceiling tiles made from vol-CANIC perlite.

Perlite Ceiling tiles are manufactured from expanded volcanic perlite, ceramic clay and inorganic binders. These products are fireproof and will not harbor or provide nutrients for microbial growth. Light reflectance noise reduction values of these tiles are somewhat lower than mineral fiber and fiberglass.

Bottom Line: A good choice for wet or high moisture areas or If there is a preference for products without biocides.

o

Ha! Ha! Your replies were very entertaining! Wow...I'm older than I thought. I think canic is a sugar cane by-product so maybe it was used only in Hawaii in the "old days". I like the idea of the dry wall tape. Will report back.

o

Aloha Honu girl--had to laugh, too. I was writing about canic ceilings and wanted to spell check it but, of course it's not in the dictionary so I goggled it and came to this site.

Love the volcanic product theory.

I'm in Kaneohe (Hawaii) and a realtor. It's not your age that's the problem--it's just that canic (the sugar cane bi-product) was not used anywhere in the mainland that I am aware of. Yes, it was widely used in Hawaii into the early 70's and we still see it all over the place (except new construction on the Ewa plain!)

Sheet rock taping won't really work because at some point you have to sand it smooth and the point where the "mud" and the canic meet cant really be smoothed because the sanding process roughs up the canic. What will you do--mud the whole sheet? No can! (as we would say in hawaii but not on the mainland.)

I've seen 'plenty houses' where the drywall tape attempt looks worse then the original joints used to--and other places where the tape is just coming down. It's not a real fix.

I think you have to accept the "charm" of the canic or take it down and replace it with real sheet rock--or keep the exposed ceiling beams if they are attractive (or can be painted).

Just keep saying to yourself--lucky I live Hawaii where we have canic ceilings. aloha--

o

:) let's see - I found sugarcane fibers being made into carpet, picnic ware, and jackets - yup, looks like Canic's something unique to the islands...

I'd be tempted to bring the ceiling down and expose the beams - but I'm also a sucker for backbreaking labor and live closer to a dump than I ought to admit ;)

but we've also got ugly press-board ceiling tile of several species, and use paintable latex caulk - if the cracks are deep, do one coat down between them, then on the second coat, bring them a bit more than level, take a 4" roller with a wet sponge roller, and run it over the seam - once painted, it's pretty subtle - it's also permanent, and flexible.

o
RE: ugly ceiling problem -Canic

In response to your questions - Canic is in fact a byproduct of sugar cane, and it may indeed consist of volcanic perlite. However, I recently came across this Canic material in a construction project for a public building and learned that it is considered a Hazardous Material and must be handled and abated like asbestos (just like popcorn ceilings). According to the Environmental Assessment Report and the environmental abatement contractor Canic contains arsenic. (Most likely a means to deter rodents.)

IF you ever choose to remove or make changes to that ceiling, I strongly advise you to get an environmental (abatement) contractor to do a FREE inspection before disturbing it. Most companies will provide that free service. I'm surprised that the Realtor didn't mention that. If it is your home, I'm not sure if you are permitted by law to remove/abate it yourself, but I'd advise against it if you don't know what you're doing. Find out the facts before you disturb, punch holes or start sanding that ceiling!

o
Canec Ceilings

The correct spelling is Canec. Please see the link below from the Hawaii State Dept. of Health (Hawaii's version of the EPA) for more information on Canec.

http://hawaii.gov/health/environmental/hazard/pdf/arsenicfinalcanecfactsheetjune2010.pdf/

o
canec ceilings in Hawaii

So I'm buying a rental home and did some research. The link discusses this material as if it was asbestos, but in searching under mandatory disclosures real estate, nothing about it came up. Anyone have any knowledge of lawsuits pertaining to health problems with canec / living in a home with canec ?

http://hawaii.gov/health/environmental/hazard/docs/canecfactsheetfinal_revheadermar2011.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Dept. Public Health

This post was edited by martinmec on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 11:23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here