Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agrandma

Moisture in Sheetrock/Wall

agrandma
13 years ago

I have a 2-story house and today I found the paint had a bubble or blister on a wall in my downstairs half bathroom (toilet and sink only). I removed a picture and found more blisters behind the picture. The blisters are bubbles of paint lifted off the sheet rock about 6" across. Then on the floor next to the baseboard directly below the blisters was a small amount of water - maybe 1 tsp. But then it's next to a toilet, so I don't know where the water came from. Obviously the wall got wet or moisture somehow. Directly above that bathroom is another bathroom with a tub and toilet and sink. The wall that had moisture in it is also along the outside of the house. I looked outside and see no evidence of water getting in from there. I don't know what to do! I don't even know when this happened or if it's ongoing. Can anyone advise me? I can't tell if the sheetrock is wet or damp (it feels dry to me). Should I peel the paint and see what the sheet rock looks like? I don't want to tear my wall apart if I don't have to. Help!! Could my plumbing upstairs be leaking? Is there a way to find out? THANKS!

Comments (6)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Directly above that bathroom is another bathroom with a tub and toilet and sink."

Check tub caulking in the BR above.

• agrandma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Should I cut open the drywall and see if there is moisture behind it? If so, where do I cut it? Do I cut at the bottom of the wall behind the baseboard, or anywhere? I'm worried about mold forming....Anyone had this problem, and if so, what did you do? Thanks!

• don92
    13 years ago

Water is probably coming from the bathroom above. I would start with cutting a hole in the ceiling close to the wall with the leak. From there you should be able to see whatever is coming down the wall. It gives you a view of the floor above and the piping.

• jonnyp
    13 years ago

Were kids in tub , did some one inadvertently leave the shower curtain outside the tub. If it has been leaking for a while and consistently you would know, think smell. I have twins and had a similar problem they were relegated to the bath on the 1st fl. The older sister was the one who left the curtain hanging out on several occasions. Do some detective work before you start ripping walls open.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"If it has been leaking for a while and consistently you would know, think smell."

It can actually be very hard for someone exposed to a small long term to actually detect it in many cases.

Have a friend come over to tell you if THEY small anything.

• don92
    13 years ago

If water is coming down through the inside of a wall and an outside wall at that it is most likely a drain or supply issue. The only way you will know for sure is to cut a hole in the ceiling.Inadvertent water from a shower curtain or splashing would more than likely come through the ceiling in front of the tub not down a wall. Drywall is easy to patch and it will settle the issue.