Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior brick wall has cracks

Posted by coody (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 22:23

Exterior brick wall has cracks. I saw textured Mortar Repair from Home Deport. Can I fill it into the cracks to fix the problems or I should use the different product? How to repair the cracks? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior brick wall has cracks

Cracks are the result of some overstress in the brick resulting from some event and that should be identified to determine if the movement will stop. Potential causes might be settlement, water intrusion, thermal movements, etc. "Patching" cracks does not "fix" the problem. It will repair the crack but if the root cause has not been arrested then the cracks will reform.

o

Are the cracks in the bricks or in the mortar?

o

The picture has shown all the cracks and no more.

o

I did not realize at first that you embedded a picture link in your post. That crack is due to some differentential movement at the lintel at the window head. I suspect you might have some corrosion of the steel lintel that caused the brick above to move up relative to the brick to the side.

Not the the goes through the brick just above the lintel and then reurns to the moratr joint at the top soldier course. You can patch it, but I'll bet it will return with time.

o

Only one brick has crack and the other cracks are in the mortar joints. I just patched the cracks but it is hard to fill the textured Mortar into the deep joints, probably only filled 1/4 deep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here