Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concerned about insects getting through soffit

Posted by mona (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 22:11

We recently had new vinyl siding and vinyl ventilated soffit (Certainteed InvisiVent) installed. We also had vent openings cut into the soffit because we only had a few small ones (with screens) previously. Before the vinyl soffit was installed, I asked if it would be necessary to have screens put over the new openings to help keep out insects. I was told that the holes in the vinyl would be sufficent.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have insisted on screens. During warmer weather, we have a lot of box elder bugs, wasps, and stink bugs around here. I don't think that the holes in the vinyl are small enough to keep them out. I'm having visions of major infestations in the attic and eventually the rest of the house.

DH says screens would just get clogged with dirt and block the ventilation. I think they'll do more good than harm. Am I worrying about nothing, or should I look into getting screens installed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concerned about insects getting through soffit

I clipped this from their spec sheet. The key word is "excessive".

"Where excessive insect infiltration may be a concern, openings may be covered with corrosion-resistant mesh or other screening material prior to soffit installation."

o
RE: Concerned about insects getting through soffit

My experience shows that stink bugs get into the 'v' grooves of the soffit, at the edges and can squeeze up between the edge of the soffit and the inside edge of the facia board. that is the problem with vinyl soffit. If stink bugs can do it, any bug can. i am designing a method to seal the soffit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here