Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

'Landscape timbers'

bus_driver
12 years ago

None of the forums seem to fit my question of the moment. To my dismay, I have found that the "landscape timbers" sold at Lowes and HD are really not treated at all. No effective preservative retention. Veneer cores are milled flat on two sides and dipped in coloring solution. I need durability. Does anyone offer these with proper pressure treating?

Comments (11)

• mainegrower
    12 years ago

The various landscape timbers with the rounded edges can be used in above ground applications, but they have a tendency to twist and bow even there. If you're looking for something to use in direct contact with the ground, you need to look for 4x4 or 6x6 timbers certified as suitable for ground contact on the label. Much more expensive to buy, but probably cheaper in the long run.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The 4 x 4 is too large for my application. I do notice that most of the 4 x 4 are labeled for in-ground use. I hope to find some of the others similarly treated. The price on the "landscape timbers" is much too high considering that those are scrap, the core left after rotary veneer cutting and that they are not treated very much.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The price on the "landscape timbers" is much too high considering that those are scrap..."

How does that make the price "too high"?

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

You might ask landscape contractors in your area who their suppliers are.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The landscape timbers are priced at more than 50% of the price of a properly treated 4 X 4. It is sure to be a higher profit product than the 4 x 4.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

The "landscape timbers" are generally made of a softwood and are treated with a preservative. However they are dipped as opposed to a true pressure treated wood which is left in the vat until they have achieved a .40 or a .60 (marine applications) of retention of the preservative chemical. Some REAL LUMBERYARDS (not HD or Lowes, etc.) carry a true "pressure treated landscape timber" and the price is comparable to or slightly more than a 4 x 4 due to the fact that they are Southern Yellow Pine Lumber, more actual lumber, and actually pressure treated to a certain degree of retention as opposed to dipped which actually means as much as the soaks up in a limited amount of time.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Hit an actual lumber yard.

If you poke around you might even find CCA treated material.

The ban only applies to routine retail sale.
    It is still used for 'professional' applications.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

I found some cca 2x's at company that sells
    materials for bulkheads.
    they use them for shoring up the land along
    the bayou.
    they had different size lumber, but for a
    refrence point
    the 2x12x12's I bought were $25. each.

best of luck.

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Why bother. Go w/ stack-able concrete block ,although not at the box stores. A little more money, but you won't repair that wall in your lifetime

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago

I have a nice redneck idea for you........

How about taking the timbers to Line-X or Rhino-Lining - the truck bed spray-in liner people. I believe they also have the ability to spray different colors other than black. I don't know how much they'd charge, they may look at you funny, but I'm sure other people have had this same idea. That stuff protects more than just truck beds, and it probably lasts forever. You might even go to the auto parts store and buy some spray-on undercoating and do it yourself. Again, with the time and cost invloved, it may be just as well to go the brick paver route.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For various reasons, too lengthy to post here, nothing else fits this application quite so well as the landscape timbers. A pressure treating facility is located about 35 miles from me. He does not offer those as part of his product line. But he will treat mine about the end of March. So I will buy them now and store them so they will air dry until then. Two round trips of about 70 miles each plus the cost of the treatment will be the added cost. Steep, but no better option for me. Thanks for the suggestions.