Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing wall corners

Posted by scrookston (schcrookston@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:37

In our new home many of the outside wall corners have opened up. Is it better to repair it when the space is there or after it comes together again? How would you suggest doing it and with what materials? My husband is talking about some kind of elastic silicone but doing it when it is back together in the spring. Any help is appreciated. Would like so it doesn't happen again!!
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing wall corners

corner bead

Here is a link that might be useful: corner bead

o

Paint will NOT bond to silicone. We are not told if these corners are interior or exterior. We are not told what materials are involved.

o

Sorry, these are interior wall corners, but on walls that are on the exterior walls. Hope that makes sense! They are sheet rocked walls primed and painted with SW paint.

o

I'm assuming you are referring to corners on the outside of the house, right? (Corner bead, referred to above, is only used for interior sheetrock corners.)

Some more info would help. What are the materials that are gapping (wood, vinyl, aluminum, etc.)? Are these gaps at outside corners, or inside corners (like where a portion of the exterior wall extends out)? How big is the gapping? If you posted a picture here it would help a lot.

The gapping could be a seasonal issue or it could be normal shrinkage of new materials that are shrinking as they give up additional moisture.

Depending on the amount of shrinkage, a paintable caulking may work, or you may need some other approach depending on what the materials are and how the corners are constructed...which is why more info is needed. In any case, caulking when the gap is smallest or closed up is a sure way to have it fail if this is due to seasonal expansion and contraction.

o

Hi, The walls are inside of the house but on the exterior walls. That being said I doubt you have any outside corners except maybe around windows. So if that is the case your problem is with inside corners, they have no corner bead. I would suggest you use a paintable caulk
used to install windows, very flexable.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

Post a photo of the problem so people here have some idea of the size of the opening.

For very minor cracks, I have used paintable caulk to fill it.

I have a much bigger problem with a corner and have to replace the corner bead. I just ordered some No-Coat. It can be used on interior corners.

Here is a link that might be useful: No-Coat

o

Yes right to post a photo to show the problem.
in my mind, for exeterior wall, it usually uses the composite aluminum panel. but no idea for a wall conner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here