Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thefuzzbucket

Kitchen Cabinet Face Lift

thefuzzbucket
15 years ago

I need to give my kitchen a face lift. I can't afford to replace the cabinets but I think changing the cabinet doors and hardware would be good. What material would be good for the doors? I was thinking 1/2" panel board but is there anything else that wouldn't break the budget? Any finishing tips?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• lucy
    15 years ago

It would help to know what's already there in terms of not getting something incompatible, plus do you have any styles in mind yourself?

• payperbiz
    15 years ago

Consult an expert first because you can save a lot if you opted for wood refurbishing instead of changing the the entire doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: construction orlando

• thefuzzbucket
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Right now the doors are 0.75" pressed wood with a laminate finish. They are tired and need to go. I thought flake board that can be painted would be a easy solution.

Let me know what you think.

• ron6519
    15 years ago

Posted by thefuzzbucket (My Page) on Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 7:02

Right now the doors are 0.75" pressed wood with a laminate finish. They are tired and need to go. I thought flake board that can be painted would be a easy solution.
    Let me know what you think.

Flakeboard(painted or unpainted) would look like crap. Flakeboard is not a kitchen door material. The doors need to be more then 1/2" thick.
    Save up for plan "B".
    Ron

• pjb999
    15 years ago

LOL I tend to agree with Ron. OSB/flakeboard would make it look like garage cupboards, or some sort of hillbilly heaven, to say the least. If the cupboard doors are that bad, why not paint them with Melamine paint, and put on new handles? Way less work, the doors will look right, and melamine paint's pretty tough.

Or plan B. By the time you 'freshen up' a kitchen, it's often more economical to do the whole thing, especially if you were considering countertops too.

You have to be careful you don't end up with some sort of amateurish patch job, if you end up having to sell the house (and who knows these days?) it could seriously affect the price and saleability.

• danw13
    15 years ago

If the door's are in that bad of shape I would tend to think the cabinets themselves have to be in the same condition ? IMO I would opt for plan "c" and tear out and replace with some boxes from HD or Menards for a $1,000 or a few bucks more and atleast have something useable. By not even seeing what you have I would bet your just throwing good money after bad.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

Exactly. I have yet to see a kitchen that needed new cabinet doors, that didn't need new cupboards as well. Usually they're old, dingy and worn, and usually newer ones are more streamlined inside.

a) Melamine paint, save for new kitchen, b)leave as is, save for new kitchen and when you get new kitchen, old cabinets move into garage or shop or shed, where you can never have too much storage. Then who cares what they look like?

• bluesbarby
    15 years ago

Actually my kitchen didn't need new cupboards, only doors and drawer fronts. But they were custom cabinets made by the previous owners and the doors and drawer fronts he ordered to size. The doors were hollow core and a really ugly style. I refinished the cabs (which were all solid wood), repurposed all the lower cabinets into drawers and purchased new drawer fronts and doors online. Total cost $2500.00 and I have a large kitchen.

• Jillofall
    15 years ago

You could try using high grade plywood and putting 1/2" corner trim around the edges with miter cuts. Then stain & seal. I did that once for a short fix and it looked good enough I haven't changed it. Alternately, shop for cabinet doors online. I just ordered some from RefaceDepot.com. There may be cheaper ones, but they sure beat the prices at HD. --Kris

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County