Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokanije

GAF Timberline Ultra or Elk Prestique Plus

rokanije
18 years ago

I am getting a new roof put on my house and had asked for GAF Timberline Ultra 50yr shingles which the roofer agreed on in the contract. He seemed like he kept leaving subtle hints for Elk Prestique Plus 50yr shingles. He called me a couple of days ago and asked if it would be alright if he used the Elk shingles instead because he could get them this tuesday because he had them in stock in his warehouse and I told him ok over the phone. Now I am wondering if the Elk shingles are cheaper and not as good as the GAF and he is making more of a profit. I asked him if there would be any difference in the price of the roof and he said no. Can anyone tell me if the Elk are cheaper per square than the GAF and which would you prefer as a homeowner or roofing installer. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• cmlawrence
    18 years ago

Consumer Reports rates the GAF Timberline Ultra a bit higher than the Elk Prestique. But, more importantly, the GAF is much more expensive (twice as expensive), and is a heavier shingle. If he is trying to substitute the Elk for the GAF, and not giving you a price break, I would assume he is doing it to make more profit.

In reality, they are both probably good shingles, but if he priced the job based on the GAF, you should get the GAF.

C

• rokanije
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks cmlawrence, I just called him and he wasn't too excited to hear me ask for the GAF. He told me he was trying to do me a favor so I could get my roof quicker. I told him I was in no rush and would stick with the GAF.

• sabhome
    16 years ago

rokanije, Did you get the GAF roofing? How do you like it? Are you pleased with your choice? Did you get the Golden Pledge warranty (I'm confused as I compare GAF and Elk warranty details). My roofer is a GAF Master Elite contractor but is showing me the Elk products (he says they merged and are the "same"; found some GAF/ELK references--they point to gaf.com ). We are considering the Elk Domain Winslow 50yr shingle, but now I'm wondering if we should consider the GAF Grand Canyon or the Grand Sequoia (both are same catergory as the GAF Timberline Ultra). His proposal states "Elk", so I do not know if requesting GAF will affect the price. The Domain Winslow looks quite thick, but I don't know how it compares to the GAF "equivalents" or counterparts.

I have not yet looked for Consumer Reports (will do that next), but I wanted to reply to this item when I saw it. I'm a slow navigator of this stuff, so any help to speed me in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks.

• macrocat
    12 years ago

Hi, Can anyone tell me the name of the roofer. We are expanding the roof up 5 feet and could use some of that OLD stock. We need to cover a 6 x 16 foot area to start and then put the new GAF Ultra HD on the new kitchen.

To answer your question: ELK was either bought out or merged with GAF who now carries the same line called Timberlane. The dimensional shingles ELK Prestique 40 Plus are the same color and texture as the Timberland Ultra HD. I know because we still have a few shingles left over from our orginal roof and compared it to the Ultra HD and they are exactly the same in every way. Even the rep at Allied Building Products in Levittown, PA helped us out on that but did not have the shingles in stock. Our contractor told us that 1 package of those shingles were around $35. I don't know how many packages are in a bundle but that should give you an idea of the cost. Either way you go, you cannot go wrong with GAF/ELK. Good Luck.