Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Tape Residue Off Hardwood Floors?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 19:05

I had a handyman who painted the risers on my stars and left regular masking tape on there for almost 3 months. Couldn't get him back before then. I asked him to use painters tape but he didn't. Now I can't get the residue off from the tape. I tried Goof Off but it also took some of the finish off, along with some stain. The paint was latex, and the floor were finished with an oil based urethane. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Tape Residue Off Hardwood Floors?

Use a 50-50 mixture of creamy peanut butter and vegetable oil. Let sit on residue for about 30 mins. After than, clean again with straight veg. oil.

o

The peanut butter and veggie oil mixture sounds like a safe bet. It has worked well for me in the past. Another approach is to use WD-40 but you would want to test it on the surface before you go all out. A bit on a rag would be the way to start. I used it on some adhesive residue where my hardwood floor comes up against marble and it worked well and did not harm the wood.

o

Liftoff #2.

I've used their caulk remover and it worked well.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Tape remover

o

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I will give them a try. I forgot to mention that this man even with all the tape he put on, got paint under the tape too, so all my stair edges have white paint on the edges of the stairs. He really messed this up. The paint is latex. Any idea how to get that off too ;-(. Thanks again!

o

Try using a hard plastic putty or taping knife. It should scape up the paint without scratching the wood. If you can, lay a wet paper towel over the paint for an hour or two on the areas that don't scape up well when dry.

o

3-M has a website page dedicated to masking tape removal. If the adhesive is rubber based- and most of it is- paint thinner (mineral spirits) works well. Any removal method might require repainting.

o

"goof off" will take up the latex paint

o

heh- does goof off take my oops off of brick? (Yes, I have repainted the soffit and fascia and did not enjoy doing it. )

o

Goof Off is xylene. Save a few $ and buy a quart can.
It breaks down the latex in the paint.
Test first on finishes since it can damage some.

o

To get the tape residue off the hardwood floor Johnson's Baby Oil works great. It is also a fantastic handcleaner for getting heavy greases and chemicals off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here