Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Getting Tape Residue Off Hardwood Floors?

blondelle
18 years ago

I had a handyman who painted the risers on my stars and left regular masking tape on there for almost 3 months. Couldn't get him back before then. I asked him to use painters tape but he didn't. Now I can't get the residue off from the tape. I tried Goof Off but it also took some of the finish off, along with some stain. The paint was latex, and the floor were finished with an oil based urethane. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comments (10)

• maryland_irisman
    18 years ago

Use a 50-50 mixture of creamy peanut butter and vegetable oil. Let sit on residue for about 30 mins. After than, clean again with straight veg. oil.

• rml_doityourselfer
    18 years ago

The peanut butter and veggie oil mixture sounds like a safe bet. It has worked well for me in the past. Another approach is to use WD-40 but you would want to test it on the surface before you go all out. A bit on a rag would be the way to start. I used it on some adhesive residue where my hardwood floor comes up against marble and it worked well and did not harm the wood.

• Michael
    18 years ago

Liftoff #2.

I've used their caulk remover and it worked well.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Tape remover

• blondelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I will give them a try. I forgot to mention that this man even with all the tape he put on, got paint under the tape too, so all my stair edges have white paint on the edges of the stairs. He really messed this up. The paint is latex. Any idea how to get that off too ;-(. Thanks again!

• maryland_irisman
    18 years ago

Try using a hard plastic putty or taping knife. It should scape up the paint without scratching the wood. If you can, lay a wet paper towel over the paint for an hour or two on the areas that don't scape up well when dry.

• bus_driver
    18 years ago

3-M has a website page dedicated to masking tape removal. If the adhesive is rubber based- and most of it is- paint thinner (mineral spirits) works well. Any removal method might require repainting.

• rjoh878646
    18 years ago

"goof off" will take up the latex paint

• danurse
    18 years ago

heh- does goof off take my oops off of brick? (Yes, I have repainted the soffit and fascia and did not enjoy doing it. )

• brickeyee
    18 years ago

Goof Off is xylene. Save a few $ and buy a quart can.
    It breaks down the latex in the paint.
    Test first on finishes since it can damage some.