Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silicone Caulk Over Grout?

Posted by shw001 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 17:55

I am trying to remove grout from shower areas where floor and walls meet so I can repace it with 100% silicone. Although I have dug into all the grout and broken the connection of the floor to the walls, I am having difficulty removing all the grout. Some of it just remains stuck to the end of the tiles, leaving as much of about 1/16 inch coating of grout at the end of some tiles. I am using an oscillating tool (Rockwell SonicCrafter) and asorted hand tools. Is it necessary to completely get all of the grout off prior to applyng silicone? If I leave some grout, will the silicone stick to it?

BTW, the original contractor put non-silicone matchng caulk over the grout, which grew mold and has been deteriorating. I have mostly removed this, but the grout under it was a lot harder than I expected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silicone Caulk Over Grout?

Yes, the silicone will stick. Did you "touch" the grout tool to those stubborn chips? Also, sometimes a utility knife helps. Caution; if you have a waterrpoof membrane right behind the tile (kerdi, etc.), be sure you don't cut into it.

What size wall tiles do you have? What size grout joints?

While some advise caulking all the joints where there's a change of plane (floor meets wall, wall meets wall, etc.) Personally, I do not caulk the wall-floor joint. The reason is water gets into grout, migrates downward, and that intersection will then stay wet much longer since it can't dry out as easily. That leads to mold/mildew. I grout that joint. If it cracks (not likely), I touch up with grout.

Wall corners are different story. There you can caulk. Grout cracks more easily there.

This post was edited by homebound on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 19:48

o

Homebound hits all the points squarely on the head. I wouldn't want to mess with digging out all the grout and risk puncturing the membrane. If any grout found it's way onto the glazed portion of the tile it's never coming off without a utility knife, I would leave it.

A trick my wife showed me to clean and prevent mold on the shower floor is to regularly spray a 75/25 ratio of white vinegar and water after every use,leave it on, no scrubbing. For hard to remove stains on grout spray mixture on and respray once dry for 4 cycles or more depending on stubbornness then give a last spray and give a scrubbing with stiff nylon brush, works better than Spray9 the cleaner I swear by.

o

Regarding caulking the wall/floor joint in a shower:
wouldn't a caulked joint also allow more water to actually go into the joint during a shower?? So it would be a tradoff between how much could vent after the shower and how much would go in. Also, with 7x7 inch wall tiles and 1/8 inch grout lines for most of the wall, would would there be much infiltration of water behind the walls? This is bafflilng.

o

As long as it can dry out, it doesn't matter if it gets wet. To illustrate, tile shower floors get wet, too, don't they? Are you seeing mold/mildew problems on the joints? (I hope not.) Case closed.

o

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful.
I still have not decided on grout vs caulk, but need to soon. Homebound's suggestion to grout the wall/floor joints sounds logical, but it is going against prevailing commentary to use 100% silicone on John Bridge and other sources. Decisions-decisions.

Regarding the vinegar. Someone on this site or John Bridge said to NOT use acidic cleaners. However, I have heard a lot of people pleased with the venegar approach. Just scratching my head.

o

Vinegar weakens your grout. It is also useless as a germ killer, but popular with the "natural" crowd as a cleanser. It is, however, very good for preventing mold on your cheese and is essential for a good salad dressing. Acid, in the right context, is a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here