Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egress Window Problems

Posted by jjcpiano (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 17:25

Hi, I recently bought a house that is about 5 year's old. It has an Egress window that appears to have been leaking for at least a couple of years. At the base of the egress window area there is a drain that seems to back up, as well as water seems to be coming up from the ground. The drain actually backs up into the area. Without knowing more about the draining system, is it feasible to run a pipe from the drain out into the yard at a distance where the yard is below the drainage level. That way any ground swell water can simply drain into that. It is odd that water actually comes from the pipe into the egress area Vs simply overflowwing and backing up. Thanks for any insight

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egress Window Problems

Sure, adding a drain to a lower level should help if the elevations are correct and the pipe is large enough.

o
RE: Egress Window Problems

There should already be a pipe running away to a lower level and dissipating the water into the yard; if you have water feeding in there, it's probably connected to a drain at a higher point in the yard, and running down to the window.

Not a good situation, one that needs to be addressed.

You may need to consult an expert, unless you see yourself digging the current drains up and inspecting them.

I suspect what has happened is the existing system is blocked with silt or tree roots, or both.

o
other thoughts...

Just thought of another point, where do your eavestrough/gutters drain to? If the water just pours onto the ground, it's probably contributing to that.

A kind of half baked approach might be in the meantime to put a sump pump there, since you're risking or may already have all sorts of damage because of this.

I have been thinking of putting such a window in like this, I am in a dry area <12in/30cm of precipitation a year - but have wondered about issues with well-type windows, and how difficult the drainage would be. In my case I have gas, cable and electric along that wall, plus a mature tree where the drainage would run to. I still suspect your drain is blocked somewhere. Maybe it's possible to snake? I guess if you could locate just the end downhill it would reduce the digging and you could enlarge the pit. Maybe line it with concrete with weep holes or an open bottom, whatever the local rules allow.

I guess one of those plastic covers for the lightwell wouldn't help, since

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here