Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Entry Door with a built in retractable screen?

Posted by briboy (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 17:07

I live in a condominium complex and need a new front door. The association does not allow storm doors at all. I am wondering if there anyone has come across an entry door that has a retractable screen built into the frame. I have to install a threma tru door model S236 but if I can find a similar door that will not change the asthetics of my nieghbors door, I am sure it will be approved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Entry Door with a built in retractable screen?

Just do a Google search. There are plenty of these you can fit onto your door. There's no reason you need to buy a door with the screen.
Ron

o

"The association does not allow storm doors at all". Just wondering why that may be? Perhaps a screen door just will not fit without some modifications to the jamb or it is an inside hallway door. If you have a screen door at least when you open the door there is still a barrier between you and who ever may be there. Suppose you jerk that door open and there stands the bad guy eye to eye, now what do you do? I consider the added safety value of a storm door to be as important as the the original intent. Maybe you should consider approaching the HOA with some questions and suggestions about you and others safety. Perhaps they have a very sound reason for the rule. if not they may be willing to change.

o

Normally the association wants to keep the appearance of all the units uniform. They figure 1/2 with storm doors...probably a mixure of colors....and the other 1/2 without storm doors would look pretty bad. The rules vary from association to association. Some are very lax and some extremely strict. I think you are stuck with reading the association rules and either living with them or trying to get them changed.

o

Check out breeze doors. Very expensive but beautiful. I dont want to spend that much on a door but they are amazing. Built in screen.

o

Phantom screen does a retractabe that is pretty much invisible when not in use. Easy to find online.

o

"Just do a Google search. There are plenty of these you can fit onto your door. There's no reason you need to buy a door with the screen."

ron,
Can you link to one?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 15:24

o

6 year old post by ron.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here