Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestguy33

Catherdral Ceiling - Drywall Tape Problem

midwestguy33
12 years ago

We have a house that is six years old with cathedral ceilings in the family room. There is a flat area at the peek of the celing that is approximately 5' wide. The drywall tape on the joints where the sloped ceiling meets the top has come loose. I pulled down both lengths and found a crack underneath about a quarter inch wide along the entire length. The tape I pulled down had very little mud over it.

1. Is replacing the regular tape with Strait-Flex Medium a good option or would another type of tape be better?

2. What kind of mud should I use under and over the tape? I think I read somewhere that plaster might be best?

3. Any other tips so that the tape doesn't come loose again?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I believe Strait-flex is for corners.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

After you get the tape imbedded in with joint compound, unless you are experienced, do the next two coats one side at a time. That particular joint, slope to flat, is one of the harder to get a straight line. Float in one side and after it dries, catch the other side bumping up to it. A little easier to get a decent line but takes longer if your not in a hurry!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I believe Strait-flex is for corners."

And this sounds like an inside corner.

It may be useful in getting a straighter line.

I have been known to actually attach pieces of 1x lumber to one side (after ripping a bevel on the 1x) to get a perfectly straight line), or even use an old level to strike a line in wet mud.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The plastic corner tape is ideal because you only have to bed it and feather at the edges, you never have to apply any mud to the top of it. The plastic material i rigid enough to give a flat straight surface on its own, so you save time having to get a straight line by traditional means. I think the smallest roll you can buy is 100' or 150', so it's not cheap.
    Casey

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The OP says it's a "flat area". If it is a corner why not say so?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

RIF

"The drywall tape on the joints where the sloped ceiling meets the top has come loose."

• dkenny
    12 years ago

try wetting the drywall tape before applying..
    it helps it stick better..

-dkenny

• tim45z10
    12 years ago

I would give it a close inspection and make sure it was not water that caused it to come loose.

• structure1
    12 years ago

Good point tim45. We just had the same issue with the tape coming loose after 5 years on a similar ceiling. We found snow was getting in through the ridge vent the wetting the drywall. We are finishing up the repairs (painting) this weekend.

Best of luck.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

The tape is only the messenger to movement, something that is very hard to eliminate completely. Call any professional and they will tell you that that joint is the hardest one to keep looking good over the long term, because of movement.
    All suggestions above are good but mine is don't expect excellent long term results unless you are prepared to nail/screw every slope-to-ceiling joint which is a monumental job.

• Susan
    12 years ago

if it's a chronic issue as ours is from the turbo washing machine, try this.
    we added beams to the ceilings along the tape lines.
    problem solved and it looks gorgeous.