Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strengthen Floor Joist Ends

Posted by bbcommunications (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 16:32

My 1st floor joists rest on a center steel i-beam. The joists overlap and rest on the beam but there is no bridging where they meet and many of the joist ends are cupping which creates an uneven floor along the center of the house (dipping). I looked online to see if there were small inexpensive jack screws that I could put between the joists but I really didn't see anything that would seem to work better than putting wood cut to size to prevent further cupping. I am not interested in bringing the joists completely vertical, just some insurance against further cupping.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strengthen Floor Joist Ends

How old is this house?
Simple solution would be to drill through both joists and insert a 1/2" carraige bolt. Put a few 5/8" washers on each end and tighten the bolts. Make the hole the bolts are in a little oversized to compensate for the beam distortion. Tighten the bolts over a week or two to cinch the joists together. Then install some blocking to stabilize the connection.
Ron

o

Are they cupping or tilting. Cupping is from wet wood drying out. I doubt they will cup any further.
I would simply install 2x of matching width tight between them.

o

Thanks folks:

This portion of the house was built in 1969. There is only one joist at the very end of the house that I would consider having a slight tilt, all other 2x10s look square along the entire span except right at the ends over the main beam.

The current state of the joists look to have been in this position for years since there was a major kithcen renovation 10 years ago that worked around the floor uneveness at the center line of the house but I wanted to make sure this didn't get worse.

Thanks for the ideas!

o

You could use one of the screw-type car jacks (not a hydraulic one, you can't use them sideways) to put a bit of pressure on to tilt them back the right way, then measure and fit your blocking. It'll have a bit of bite that way.

o

If you cut solid blocking the right final size and bevel one end you can drive it into place with a block of wood and a big framing hammer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here