Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rogerv_gw

Sealing T1-11 siding to slab foundation?

rogerv_gw
17 years ago

We've been having a problem with ants coming into our house using the space between bottom of the T1-11 siding and the slab foundation where the siding overlaps the slab foundation. The siding does not sit flush with the concrete, so there are gaps.

My question is, should the T1-11 siding be sealed to the foundation? If so, how would this be done, and what would you use to do it?

Thanks.

-Roger

Comments (7)

• Michael
    17 years ago

The starter strip should not be sealed. If sealed, it will prevent needed ventilation. If sealed, you'll notice moisture damage in the future.

Michael

• rogerv_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michael,

I'm not sure what a starter strip is, but the implication is that if one seals the bottom of the T1-11 flashing to the outside of the cement slab foundation, that since water (be it condensation or siding leakage that would normally flow down the vapor barrier) cannot drain out then there will be water damage?

Is this about what you're saying? This does make sense, and is why I asked.

Thanks.

-Roger

• handymac
    17 years ago

If there is a vapor barrier under the T1-11, that would be the case. A better reason is that the T1-11 should not be touching the concrete at all---for the same reason. Moisture damage to the wood from the moisture in the concrete. Current building codes specify only pressure treated wood should be in contact with concrete.

The ant problem would not be cured by sealing the T1-11 anyways---it is almost impossible to seal them little critters out. We use bait hotels and I spray the trails with Deep Woods Off---lasts a long time and is not as dangerous to pets/grandkids as poisons.

• mightyanvil
    17 years ago

Is there a vapor barrier behind the T1-11? Do you live in a hot climate?

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

"Current building codes specify only pressure treated wood should be in contact with concrete."

Most codes only require PT if the wood-cement contact is less than a stated distance from grade.
    8 inches and 12 inches are common numbers, but ask your AHJ.

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

If its in contact with concrete it should have metal flashing separating it... ask your manufacturers, or see their guarantees.

• rogerv_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, yes, there is a vapor barrier under the siding. No, T1-11 siding is not pressure treated. And if I were to seal it, which doesn't sound advisible, I would not use wood, so the sealant (whatever that might be) would be in contact with the wood and the cement. This would not change the present wood to cement contact. There might be flashing under the siding where it contacts the concrete foundation, I don't know at this point.

Thanks.

-Roger