Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove 4" concrete step (separate pour)?

Posted by Phaedrus29 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 16:06

I'd like to remove a 4" raised concrete step/platform in my garage...so that this area is level with the rest of the garage floor. I had an inspector over who confirmed that I can cut and remove the section I want to, and stay within code. He pointed out that the 4" step is a separate concrete pour...it was poured separately on top of the garage floor.

Then I had a concrete guy over who said that I would have to remove the step AND garage floor in that area, and do a complete repour. Is that right? Is there no way to remove the 4" raised area without destroying/removing the original garage floor? Thanks for the help.

Here is a pic showing the step sitting on the garage floor:

And another pic down the egress, where you can see the separate pour of the raised section and the garage floor:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove 4" concrete step (separate pour)?

If the step was properly poured, there will be rebar/screen inside it to secure it to the floor. There could also be a section under the step that was removed from the old floor. Both methods are used to lock the new material to the old.

It might be possible to remove just the step, you will have to try to find out.

o

Thanks for the response. What would the process be for trying to remove the step without messing up the garage floor?

o

Phaedrus29:

Use a concrete saw to cut almost all the way through it in 6" increments before breaking it out with a sledge hammer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here