Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stupid question about DRILLS

Posted by bbaird (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 16:01

I'm clueless...

Can you use any brand bits on any brand drill?

I have a Makita 10.8V drill. The reviews of the Makita bits aren't so great. Everyone seems pleased with DeWalt bits, however.

Can I use DeWalt or any other brand bits with my Makita drill?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupid question about DRILLS

If your drill has a 3-jaw adjustable chuck, then your only limitation to bits is the capacity of the chuck itself, be it 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2".
I have had the experience where really cheap imported drills had 3/8" chucks that refused to tighten down on 1/16" drill bits.
You can always upgrade to a better chuck, which is what I did in that case.
Some drills come with a 1/4" hex-drive quick-change business end, which uses bits with the appropriately-sized hexagonal drive end. A choke retains the bits so they can't fall out; no more drill bits stuck in the bored hole.
Casey

o

Thanks.

I hope the Makita isn't a cheap imported drill. It cost $150.

I thought it was supposed to be good.

o

Re: "I hope the Makita isn't a cheap imported drill. It cost $150."

No, you did fine. Makita, and others, make fine products. And, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' certainly has some merit; $150 isn't pocket change!

o

The best drill chucks are still made by Jacobs.

If the outer ring used to tighten the bit is NOT machined the chuck is not very high quality.

Less expensive chucks put a real premium on using each hole to tighten the bit in the chuck.
They really need it with the lower quality machining and ast parts they use.

$150 is a moderately priced drill.

The $30 drills are the ones with real problems, sometimes they do not even have bearings for the shafts, just molded in places in the plastic for the shaft ti fit.

o

Brick,
we were taught in 8th grade metal shop to tighten the chuck on the drill presses from each of the three holes. Those 3/4" chucks probably weighed more than the drill we're discussing.
Casey

o

I hope the Makita isn't a cheap imported drill. It cost $150.

Makita is a Japanese company although I believe they have made some tools in America. At this point, most of their tools will be made in China.

we were taught in 8th grade metal shop to tighten the chuck on the drill presses from each of the three holes.

Years ago in a forum far, far away this very question was asked. The consensus was that the quality of the chuck was inversely proportional to the benefits derived from using additional holes to tighten the chuck. In other words, cheap chucks need additional tightening while expensive ones do not.

o

OMG, Mike, are you an engineer or mathematician?
> inversely proportional to the benefits derived from using additional holes to tighten the chuck

I thought I might be the only one here that talks like that.

o

You paid 150 for a 10.8v drill? Seems pretty expensive to me. Or do you mean 18.0?

o

You paid 150 for a 10.8v drill? Seems pretty expensive to me. Or do you mean 18.0?

Makita has a 10.8v LiON compact drill/impact driver kit that goes for about $150.

o

i opened the clutch of my drill to put a large bit into it and now the clutch wont close , why ? please help

o

Sheila-
Do you mean the chuck is stuck in an open position and won't rotate?

P.S.: In the future, when you have a new question, start a new thread rather than piggy-backing on an old, unrelated thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here