Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbaird_gw

Stupid question about DRILLS

bbaird
14 years ago

I'm clueless...

Can you use any brand bits on any brand drill?

I have a Makita 10.8V drill. The reviews of the Makita bits aren't so great. Everyone seems pleased with DeWalt bits, however.

Can I use DeWalt or any other brand bits with my Makita drill?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• bbaird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks.

I hope the Makita isn't a cheap imported drill. It cost $150.

I thought it was supposed to be good.

• formula1
    14 years ago

Re: "I hope the Makita isn't a cheap imported drill. It cost $150."

No, you did fine. Makita, and others, make fine products. And, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' certainly has some merit; $150 isn't pocket change!

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

The best drill chucks are still made by Jacobs.

If the outer ring used to tighten the bit is NOT machined the chuck is not very high quality.

Less expensive chucks put a real premium on using each hole to tighten the bit in the chuck.
    They really need it with the lower quality machining and ast parts they use.

$150 is a moderately priced drill.

The $30 drills are the ones with real problems, sometimes they do not even have bearings for the shafts, just molded in places in the plastic for the shaft ti fit.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Brick,
    we were taught in 8th grade metal shop to tighten the chuck on the drill presses from each of the three holes. Those 3/4" chucks probably weighed more than the drill we're discussing.
    Casey

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

I hope the Makita isn't a cheap imported drill. It cost $150.

Makita is a Japanese company although I believe they have made some tools in America. At this point, most of their tools will be made in China.

we were taught in 8th grade metal shop to tighten the chuck on the drill presses from each of the three holes.

Years ago in a forum far, far away this very question was asked. The consensus was that the quality of the chuck was inversely proportional to the benefits derived from using additional holes to tighten the chuck. In other words, cheap chucks need additional tightening while expensive ones do not.

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

OMG, Mike, are you an engineer or mathematician?
    > inversely proportional to the benefits derived from using additional holes to tighten the chuck

I thought I might be the only one here that talks like that.

• tim45z10
    14 years ago

You paid 150 for a 10.8v drill? Seems pretty expensive to me. Or do you mean 18.0?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

You paid 150 for a 10.8v drill? Seems pretty expensive to me. Or do you mean 18.0?

Makita has a 10.8v LiON compact drill/impact driver kit that goes for about $150.

• sheba5_talktalk_net
    12 years ago

i opened the clutch of my drill to put a large bit into it and now the clutch wont close , why ? please help

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Sheila-
    Do you mean the chuck is stuck in an open position and won't rotate?

P.S.: In the future, when you have a new question, start a new thread rather than piggy-backing on an old, unrelated thread.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus