Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use 1/4 inch under-layment on walls ?

Posted by time4pm (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 15:07

We are not able to remove 50 year old wallpaper from 1925 kitchen walls. Does anybody know if using 4x8 sheets of 1/4 flooring underlayment on the walls, and then paint will work?

If so, which underlayment (sub-floor) would be best for painting ?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use 1/4 inch under-layment on walls ?

Use 1/4" msheetrock instead. The underlayment is flammable.

o

Appreciate that info "handymac".

Since we do not know how to tape and mud we just thought a wood product would of been easier. Maybe we will have to hire it out. Thanks

o

Underlament is not the way to go. Be sure to get sheetrock there are lots of tapers who need work and be willing to do it for cheap if not it is not hard to do

o

Underlament is not the way to go. Be sure to get sheetrock there are lots of tapers who need work and be willing to do it for cheap if not it is not hard to do

o

Hello,
How about wall paneling?
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

Leaving aside questions of taste, advisability and AHJ approval, any sort of wood product will show grain when painted, unless you are willing to do a furniture or auto body prep with filler/hi-build primer...more expense than mudding gyp board.

If you're sold on the idea, look for "door skins", a thinner plywood available with other veneers besides luaun.
They will have (usually) patch-free face plies.(no "footballs")

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here