Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair bathroom tile floor

Posted by leocadie (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 14:20

I've inherited a brick duplex built in 1957. On one side the tile bathroom floor is cracking. Part of it has dropped down about 1/4 inch. When I looked underneath, in the crawl space, the tile is laid on an old style bed of mortar. A board supports the mortar base, and this board is supported on each side by 2 x 2s nailed to the joists.

I think the problem is that the board supporting the mortar base is sagging. Wondering if I could install a new board underneath the old, and support it with jack posts? The floor joists are 16 inch on center.

Will appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair bathroom tile floor

To support the floor, you can just bolt the current 2x2 to the joist if it's just loose and not rotted. You can add the other piece, but I would secure the one that's there now before adding the other piece.
Ron

o
RE: Repair bathroom tile floor

You probably can jack it up, but consider the cause of the sagging, it's probably moisture. The real solution is to redo the floor. If you do, consider using a fibre cement product that is truly water/rot proof vs the plywood that seems to be favoured in north america. Rot in such material exposed to moisture (of course the tile base should be made waterproof) is inevitable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here