Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Mailbox broken by plow, need quick fix ideas

My poor mailbox was obliterated again. I had it bungee-corded to the post already. Now the entire post has been knocked down. I don't know if the post broke or it was knocked out of the ground. The neighbor boys were kind enough to set it back up, but it's only being supported by the snow. With all the snow we have, and the ground frozen, I won't be able to get it replaced until spring. Any ideas for a quick fix until then? I'm at a loss. Hope the picture helps.

Comments (20)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

I had a similar problem: my pressure treated post rotted just below ground level and fell over. My fix was to take a couple of 4' pieces of 1/2" rebar and grind points on one end. Then I had someone else hold the box and damaged post upright and I drove in the rebar with a sledge: one on the back and one on the side. After that, I screwed in a couple of electrical conduit hold-down straps to connect the post to the rebar. Should last until spring...

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Get an old bucket, metal or plastic. Put the post into it and brace it up straight. Add a sack of concrete mix (even the kind for post holes) and water. Keep it braced until the concrete hardens. Done.

• sdello
    10 years ago

If you can drive something into the ground, you might try this. Fast and easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: E-Z spike

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm leaning toward the bucket of cement because I have a big rusty bucket in the garage that might work. I will explore all options though. Many thanks!

• klem1
    10 years ago

Has the plow driver been hitting the bottle again?

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL. I'm beginning to think they do it for sport.

Seriously though, they do a great job around here and the snow's been ridiculous. But winter cannot end soon enough for me!

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

You might want to put the new one a little further in from the curb! And get a big orange flag for it next winter, or park your car in front of it....if you think they can manage to see your car and get around it....Make sure you pay your car insurance bill...

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Might have to put a couple of large rocks on either side of mailbox (After you get it fixed in spring). Not likely plow driver will want to damage his plow blade on those!

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Those might have to be pretty big rocks for them to be seen given how much snow you appear to have....

• debo_2006
    10 years ago

When our mailbox went down, we bought a cheap temporary one at HD that is on a spiked post that you just stick in the ground. It worked for a few weeks until we were able to replace the original. Though with frozen ground, you might need a mallot to help drive in the spike.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

We used the EZ spike, it works great.

Remember to call Miss Utility first if you are digging or driving anything into the ground.

• cathyyg
    10 years ago

My Dad was lucky. We lived on a state Hwy near the state hwy garage and the state plows knocked ours over again and again. Come spring, we saw a state hwy crew out there replacing our knocked over post with a heavy duty guardrail post. 50 years later that post is still there, even though the mailbox was moved to the other side of the street 45 years ago.

For a while Dad used a piece of chain with the links welded to make an S curve. It had enough flex to survive the plows.

• jimu57
    10 years ago

just drive a piece of metal pipe as far as you can into the ground. 3/4" should work Use rope, duct tape, or whatever to secure the vertical post to the pipe until the snow clears and the ground thaws. Its not like its holding a bridge up. Just as long as it stands up, dont worry about how it looks. Keep it simple.

• jarrod_777
    8 years ago

They have metal ground anchors that you can drive into the frozen ground with a sledge hammer, then attach the wood post on top. See here: http://www.diymailboxes.com/install-a-mailbox-post-in-winter/

• D G
    8 years ago

Bucket and concrete will work great for now. For next year set a good post into the ground and then hinge the arm your mailbox is attached to. If your diligent and know the plows are coming you just tip the mailbox up and then they can just hit your neighbors mailbox instead of yours. If your feeling cynical then go get a 8 ft chunk of 6" 1/2" wall tubing from your local steel supplier. In the spring sink it down 4 ft and concrete around it and then fill the inside as well. Weld on an arm of 2x4 1/2 wall tubing to for you mailbox and next winter sit back and wait for the carnage because the plow truck will lose.

Side note if your mailbox is installed according to post office recommendations then the city is responsible for replacing it. If it is sitting out farther then it should then it falls on you. Usually it isn't worth the hassle but you can go to the city and have them fix it.

• Christopher_H
    8 years ago

Here's what we out in the country do. Our mailbox swings out of the way when hit by a plow. There are a number of home made devices, but I did find this site who sells mail box holders that just swing out of the way.

I have zero monetary interest in this company.

Plow Swing

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When we lived along a state highway, all the neighbors would remove their mailboxes and posts before the snowstorm. We had installed metal pipes driven into the ground that held the posts, but allowed the posts to be slipped out when needed.

• brenda strole
    2 years ago

I live on a boulevard mine is in the yard the post was iron driven into the ground 4 ft😳

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

I'm leaning toward the bucket of cement because I have a big rusty bucket in the garage that might work.

I would use sand in the bucket instead. Because loose sand is easy to get rid of (or use for something else later). A big bucket of set up cement? Very heavy & a disposal problem.