Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low slope roof and ice

Posted by fredsoldhouse (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 13:48

My second floor dormers are low slope and are rubber. In the winter the snow load forms sheets of solid ice about 4" thick which slowly slide over the edge till they reach a breaking point and come crashing down about 25 feet into the driveway. This could easily kill you if you were under there and do serious damage to a vehicle.
My question: Would adding some of those roof spike things to keep the snow and ice in place be a good idea or would the snow and ice load add more problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low slope roof and ice

The spikes are designed to break snow and ice into smaller and less dangerous pieces, not to keep it on the roof. There are so-called snow guards which act as low fences to keep ice and snow in place. In this situation - which sounds very dangerous - your best course would be to consult a roofing company about the best action to take. This really isn't a DIY job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here