Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheetrock or plaster

Posted by joeykbasile (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 13:37

Hi;
I've read the plaster posts.
My room had paneling over plaster. The large finish nails and 100 year old cracks seem daunting to a novice plasterer. I'm not bad at sheetrock compound, but have limited experience with plaster. The Easysand 90 is encouraging. Should I take the time to fix up the plaster or put 1/4" sheetrock over the plaster? I have no intention of removing the plaster and lathing.
I did one small area with patching plaster mixed with sheetrock mud and it looks good, but took time. I don't want to ruin my plaster walls with sheetrock, but need advice on plaster application. Thanks Joey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheetrock or plaster

Throw the "patching plaster" away.
It is a horrible product not really suitable for much of anything.

Old finish plaster was a mix of lime putty and gauging plaster. Setting joint compounds are a modern version.

You can skim the surface with Easysand and the work will go much faster with a plasterer's trowel instead of drywall knives.

You want a trowel with a decent handle diameter, like at least 1.5 to 2 inches.

The little 3/4 inch round handles are not worth working with.

When you use the trowel to spread over a large area you rotate your hand slightly to raise the edge of the trowel in the direction of movement.

The trailing edge leaves the surface with a smooth finish.
When you sweep back in the other direction, rotate the trowel to raise the leading edge.

I only do large areas a few times a year and it still takes some time to get back into the correct movements and rhythm of sweeping back and forth to spread the plaster smoothly.

Start in a less visible area like behind a door, or in the wall adjacent to the room entrance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here