Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair Leather

Posted by jcwebb (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 13:14

I need to do a leather sofa repair. My 2 choices are a leather repair kit I found on ehow.com, you know the paint one or a stick on leather patch from mastaplasta.com. Has anyone tried either? I have been reading loads of articles, but not sure about either. All advice welcome, just please remember low cost is important. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair Leather

I've never used a leather repair kit but I have used the liquid vinyl that gets heated. If one mixes the colors properly,uses the right leather grain sample in the kit and applies the heat properly, the patch is invisible. I've never used one of the vinyl kits to repair leather. I'm not sure how it would hold up. I imagine it would depend on where the rip or hole is and how large it is. Now here's something I never thought would work that I used to patch a slice in leather...Mighty Mend It. For once, one of those "as seen on tv" products actually works. You'd have to wait a day before you could use the leather spot. I used it to repair the strap where it meets a purse on one of my wife's leather purses. She was going to chuck it (unlike me, she's real picky about not using worn out accessories)so I thought I'd practice on it. She couldn't even tell where the repair was made and decided to keep using the purse. So far, 3 months later, the repair is still un-noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here