Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rebuilding portion of exterior wall - should I use vapor barrier?

Posted by tinag333 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 13:01

We are in PA and our house is on a slab - no basement. We recently found mold in one of our bedroom walls from faulty flashing. I removed all of drywall and insulation to find that the sheathing was completely rotted through. So now we are looking at the metal siding on one wall about 6.5 feet high by 4 feet wide. Parts of the studs and sill were also rotted so I was going to replace them as well.

Our bedroom gets quite humid during the spring/summer so we run a dehumidifier. Also, in the winter, it gets somewhat chilly (about 60 degrees) in there.

So my question is, while rebuilding this portion of wall, should I install a vapor barrier? Inside the insulation (I was going to use foam board) or outside? There is so much conflicting info on the web and I'm finding arguments for both ways. I don't want to trap moisture inside the wall.

Also, while checking out the sill, I noticed that there is a small area where I can actually see the ground/light from outside. How do I plug that up???

I realize that a professional could better handle this situation but unfortunately, that's not an option.

Thanks,
Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rebuilding portion of exterior wall - should I use vapor barr

Yesssss to vapor barrie and it always goes on the warm side, i.e. under the drywall. As to your last question, I'm confused.Are you talking about the sill or the slab ? You already said that the sill was rotted or are you talking about another area ?

o
RE: Rebuilding portion of exterior wall - should I use vapor barr

Thank-you! I guess I don't know what I'm looking at. The sill is rotting but not rotted through or anything but when I look between it and the siding, I can see the ground from inside my house. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'll be able to see what's going on more clearly when I rip it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here