Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diddlydoo

Can you put a screen door on french doors?

diddlydoo
18 years ago

Yes, I'm getting ready for springtime when I can open up the house. I can't wait

I have double french doors where only one opens.

Can I put a screen door on there to where it looks like it belongs and doesn't look tacky?

Thanks

Comments (22)

• Michael
    18 years ago

It didn't come with one?

What brand is it?

Michael

• diddlydoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I just moved into the house. I have no idea if it came with it. I just think it would be nice to have one so was considering installing one. Do they make those type doors?

Thanks

• jscu
    18 years ago

Hi. We had the same problem when we moved into our current home, but both our doors open. We found that there was a screen door at HD or Lowes that could be installed which pulled out from the side when needed. After some investigation we were told that the cheaper model that could be installed yourself had a large return rate to the store, however the more expensive brand had to be installed by the company was very expensive. We ended up calling a company here on Island that make screens to fit any door. Unfortunately we can only use one side, but it cost us $125.00 instead of close to $800.00. Good luck! Jenny

• diddlydoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks braveheartsmom,

I know there are some cheap screen doors out there so thanks for heads up to be careful getting one of those. If they don't make something substantial that will stay on tracks or whatever, I guess I'll just forget about it and stop looking. It's surely not worth 800.00. :-)

Thanks again.

• diddlydoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks brush. I e-mailed them to ask if any retailers in my area and to see about what their cost is.

Thanks. I did go to their website and love the door so hopefully....

• User
    18 years ago

Our french doors have built-in sliding screen doors. Look to see if there is a sliding track on the outside of it.

• tom999
    18 years ago

I have french doors where both open. I had screen/security doors installed which both open. Not sure where your located but they are very typical here in Az.

• diddlydoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No sliding track in existing doors. I looked earlier to see if maybe they had a door before and it's just missing, but no tracks at all.

I'm in SC.

Thanks

• sierraeast
    18 years ago

Phantom screens has a retractable screen system with it's own track that can be mounted iterior/exterior and when mounted is very inconspicuos and is a quality unit.Here's the link.Look under door screens on their web site, i think the second or third page.Contact for a nearby distributor.

Here is a link that might be useful: retractable screen

• chisue
    18 years ago

We have a small dog, so the retracting screen door wasn't an option. (One squirrel-sighting and we'd have a hole.)

Who is the manufacturer of your door? They probably make a screen that matches that door. We have 8-foot Pella french doors with a 10" bottom panel and Pella screen doors with the same bottom panel. The doors open in and the screen doors open out.

• sierraeast
    18 years ago

What would be the difference between retractable or slider. Screen is screen. Phantom offers a screen material geared for pets that gives, but i doubt any screening is completely pet proof.

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

I bought a couple $20 screen curtains off ebay. Works good enough for that occasional use.

Spring tension curtain bar with a screen made into one of those slip curtains with a weighted bottom.

Aquarium rocks / screen / hot melt glue / tension rod. Afternoon project for a crafty type.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

We have 2 phantom screens, one on the back door and one on the front door we just love them. Does anyone else have the phantom screens doors?

Here is a link that might be useful: phantom screen doors

• delia_dee
    13 years ago

I did this cheap & easy with raw netting & velcro, and I've been very pleased with it. It works fine if you don't go through the doors much. Cost well under $100.
    1. I bought raw mosquito netting (from mosquitocurtains.com).
    2. Cut it to fit across both doors, allowing extra width to fold edges under for neat appearance, & of course some overlap onto the door frame where the velcro would be.
    3. Attached 1" velcro patches, 3 across the top and about 4 down each side. (I stapled one side of the velcro onto the curtains with an ordinary stapler - 2 staples on each. Super quick. Nailed their mates to the door frame (eek!) with 3 small nails.

Doorframe, curtains & velcro are all white, and it looks surprisingly neat and nice. (I could even white-out the nail heads!) Still, in winter I'll probably take it down, leaving just a few inconspicuous little velcro patches.

• delia_dee
    13 years ago

Mosquitocurtains.com also has raw netting in black and "ivory" (darker than you might expect ivory to be).

• delia_dee
    13 years ago

If you want the velcro patches on the walls to be non-permanent, leave the backing on the patches (don't expose the adhesive). Then when you move out, all that's left is a few nail holes that can be filled - probably more easily than removing velcro adhesive.

• delia_dee
    13 years ago

Actually, stapling the velcro to the screens isn't so good - they're coming apart. Better stitch 'em on, I think. Ugh, work!

• willowtiki
    13 years ago

We just had a Bella Retractable Screen Door installed on our front French doors. We did it ourselves. It's a VERY hefty product compared to what we saw at Lowes. There is a very deep bottom track, a full-length magnetic strip and it has what they call a clutch which allows for a slow, automatic retraction. Nice! I wouldn't buy one without the clutch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retractable Screens for French Doors

• clynnedailey_aol_com
    13 years ago

I know you can put screen doors on french doors and they are also French Screens. I had them on a house in southern California. However I cannot find a supplier and I live in San Antonio TX. Any suggestions. I can't use retractable. My previous ones also locked

• Carrie-448
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I am coming to this post a little late, but we just put in a retractable screen on our patio french doors. They look great! We bought a Bravo Ultra Glide French Door. They were really helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bravo Screens

• millworkman
    11 years ago

While your at it Carrie-48 why don't you tell us your position with Bravo Screens!!