Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question - machine screw thread size

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 11:38

I have a kitchen cabinet knob that I want to use on a bifold door, so I need a longer screw than the one that came with it.

If my measuring chart is correct, it is an M4 screw. My question is: do all M4 screws have the same size threads?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question - machine screw thread size

All M4 machine screws have the same 4mm thread diameter to fit the matching nut. You will also need to match the thread count (per inch or whatever). Easiest way to do that is in a hardware store with loose stock. Take the screw you have and the one you think you need and press them together side by side with heads not contacting at opposite ends. If the threads do not mesh perfectly keep looking. They may also have a tester you can use to find the thread count. Then you will know what you are looking for at your next stop.

o

M means metric and 4 is the diameter of the screw in millimeters. Just like SAE screws, metric screws are available in both fine and coarse thread pitches. The pitch is the distance between the valleys (or peaks). The correct designation would be M4×.7. If Wikipedia is correct, M4 screws only seem to come in a coarse pitch, so any M4 screw should work for you.

o

Thank you both so much!

o

better yet. Take the knob to the hardware store and ask the clerk for a longer screw that will mate with it.

o

We ran into this all the time when I worked at Ace Hardware. It should be just a "standard" M4 that you need. However, it is common (and highly suggested) to bring both the knob and original screw in. You should be in and out of the store in just a few minutes.

And fyi for everyone. M4 screws do come in multiple thread pitches, Some are just harder to find than others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here