Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreadeg_gw

Hardwood floor- what do I need to do to fix them

andreadeg
12 years ago

Hello,

Recently i used the paint remover "goof off" on my hardwood floors. Unfortunately, it removed the top level of finish off of my floor in some spots. There are also a few areas where the paint drips smeared and left a white residue on top of the floor. I really like the color of the floor so I don't need to stain it. But what do I need to do to get the bathroom floor up to snuff? These floors are in a bathroom that will be used by an 9 year old boy so I do want to make sure that I have a good seal on the floor. Can I use restor a finish? Do I need to sand the whole thing and reapply a polyurethane over the whole floor?

Comments (12)

• User
    12 years ago

You need to sand them to bare wood, re-stain, and then apply a film forming coating like polyurethane. And next time put down dropcloths and wipe up any paint drips immediately.

• don92
    12 years ago

There is absolutely no need to sand to bare wood.
    Get all the residue off with mineral spirits then a light sanding with 220 grit just to rough up the surface. Then apply several coats of poly.

• andreadeg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fabulous, thanks for the advice Don.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Depending on what 'goof off' prduct you used, a number of them use Xylene as the main solvent.

It will (at least) damage the gloss of many finishes, and damage other badly.

If the damage is confined to the clear finish coat, screening and re-coating may be successful.

It is likely worth trying over fully stripping.

You should be able to tell after the first new coat.

• andreadeg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the damage does seem to be confined to the finish. Actually the spots that aren't glossy are very hard to see, and have to be looked at in a certain light to recognize them. Out of an abundance of caution, because this is a bathroom I want to make sure that I have a good seal on there. The wood itself looks fine.

h=How will I be able to tell after the first coat? What would be my indicator that it is or is not working? Sorry if this is an unitelligent question. I haven't worked with hardwood floors before. Thanks in advance!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"How will I be able to tell after the first coat?"

Allow the first coat to dry its re-coat time and see if you can tell if the spots are still visible.

They should be pretty much gone after screening since it roughs up the while surface anyway.

If it was old fashioned varnish you could probably just rub the dull spot out, but poly finishes often do not respond to 'rubbing out' well.

• User
    12 years ago

Poly does not touch up at all well. The entire floor will need to be sanded and recoated, and you will still see the line where you stopped at the threshold. In addition, some of these paint remover products or floor cleaning products that you have used will impair adhesion of the new to the old. If that happens, it may look OK at first, but then start peeling off in a couple of months. If that happens, the only recourse will be to sand to bare wood and start over completely. If you've ever used anything with silicone or orange oil in in on the floors, skip the intermediate peeling step and sand down to bare wood now.

• andreadeg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the Goof off I used contains Xylene. So, I'll try sanding off the finish in the entire room and recoating with poly. It's a pretty small room so this won't be a big chore. Thanks everyone.

• dannyhoston101
    12 years ago

If someone need some help for Garage Plans,Kitchen Renovations & Home Renovations, we can help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Renovations

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Poly does not touch up at all well. The entire floor will need to be sanded and recoated,"

Screening may be adequate.

Have a local floor finisher take a look.

It is not "touching up" to screen and put down a while new coat.

• kevin45
    12 years ago

You can use the Red Scotch-Brite pads. Go over the complete floor to scuff it up, then recoat with a good quality of polyurethane. I like the water based poly for the fact that odors are not as bad, and it dries hard.

• andreadeg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terrific, thanks Kevin for the specific instructions. Much appreciated!