Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Insulating old house.

bus_driver
13 years ago

House has no insulation in the walls. Built about 1945. Plaster interior. A gypsum type board with concrete rough coat and finish plaster about 1/8" thick. Stud finders do not work especially well on this type wall. I have not yet contacted any insulation contractors. Last time I was around such a company, one of the workers was staggering intoxicated.

The exterior is concrete/"asbestos" shingles over plank sheathing. One of my ideas is to remove a horizontal row of the exterior shingles around the house about the top of the stud walls, drill the sheathing, blow in the insulation and reinstall the shingles. Would have to do the same under the windows. I do have some spares for the shingles, purchased new about 20 years ago.

A house in the neighborhood has plastic plugs in the same type shingles. I assume that insulation installers drilled the shingles and the sheathing, then plugged the shingle after the insulation. Looks crappy plus there is no way to know if one is drilling into a wall cavity or directly into a stud.

I have no experience with doing old work wall insulation. And I have limited confidence in the ability of the typical worker for the companies who do this work.

Suggestions for my situation?

Comments (7)

• ionized_gw
    13 years ago

You are looking at my house!

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I intended no personal offense to anyone. I do not want that appearance for my house. Apart from the issue of appearance, are you pleased with the results of your insulation install?

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"A gypsum type board with concrete rough coat and finish plaster about 1/8" thick."

Soinds like classic two coat plaster.

One of the first uses for gypsum panels was as a base instead of wood lath.
    This cut out one layer of plaster needed.

The "concrete rough coat"

is likely plaster with sand added as a stretcher.

It is not hard to repair using setting joint compound.
    I would have them bore the required holes through the plaster instead of through the shingles.

If they use a hole saw the plugs can then be used to fill the holes almost perfectly.
    Smear some setting compound in the edges of the hole and push the plug back into place.
    After the compounds sets another layer should be all you need.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like that idea. But locating the studs is a problem. Suggestions?

• stash-hdy
    13 years ago

Locate an outlet on the inside wall, it will be attached to a stud. Drill a small hole from inside out and that will give you a reference point to start your 16" on center studs measurements.

• User
    13 years ago

Don't forget your attic. It's estimated that approx 25% of a home's heat is lost through the attic and then roof. For the easiest solution, just lay insulation across your attic floor. That will help tremendously.

• ionized_gw
    13 years ago

No, no, bus. I mean that I have a house "Built about 1945. Plaster interior. A gypsum type board with concrete rough coat and finish plaster about 1/8" thick....
    The exterior is concrete/"asbestos" shingles over plank sheathing. "

I am not sure, however, about the sheathing

So I am very interested in this thread. I ask again, are you looking at my house!