Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass Tub - hairline crack-What to do?

Posted by claga (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 9:28

Our house is 20 years old and we just noticed a hairline crack in one of our fiberglass tub enclosures. The crack is on the floor of the tub, and is approximately 3" long. We have no idea if water is going anywhere, we can just feel the crack with our fingernail ever so slightly. We have not seen any damages resulting from the crack, but we don't want to wait for trouble.

Can this crack be fixed without it being noticeable?

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass Tub - hairline crack-What to do?

Check to see if there are tub refinishers in your area,( such as Perma Glaze), to get estimates on the repair. Repairs before the re-finishing is typical on acrylic, fiberglass, and even porcelain veneered tub/showers.

o

Refinishers as mentioned by sierraeast would do the job so it would be nearly invisible. If costs are an issue, you can do it yourself but unless you do a lot of practice work first, chances are it will be noticeable. The hairline crack indicates there is some give that needs to be addressed also. A good patch is stronger than the base product which means a new crack may eventually show up nearby. The cause of the flexing can be fixed in several ways, some elaborate, some not so drastic. It depends on the situation of your installation.

o

I'm trying to diagnose a leak from a fiberglass tub area. It's proving challenging because there are multiple spots under the tub that appear wet, yet when you see the inside of the tub, there is no apparent damage. Particularly I see water stains on the outside of the tub about 20 cm below where the tub spout is. The tub spout was not finished flush with the fiberglass, and the caulking has failed. I re-caulked it today. But the drip marks were not immediately around the hole for the spout. The white water stains have drip marks to the ground and the floor under the tub is soaked. But I also notice water actively getting through the tub where the tracking is for the shower door. Just in the one end of the outside of the tub which I have exposed, I saw 2 more wet spots. Does fiberglass sometimes get multiple pinhole leaks and cracks which are hard to see?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here