Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to repair a swirl textured ceiling?

Posted by nadine33 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 8:27

We are going to tear down a wall between our kitchen and dining room. This will require some ceiling patching. Both the kitchen and dining room have a faint "swirl" texture (although it's faded). Is there any easy way to just go over the entire ceiling again with the swirl pattern which will in turn blend in the ceiling patches? We priced out replacing the entire ceiling but it was too much $$$. How much would you pay someone to just "re-swirl" over a ceiling?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to repair a swirl textured ceiling?

Matching existing texture is difficult. Most texture has several coats of paint that makes a smoother surface than the new, thus probably the reason for your "faint swirl".

First will be to determine what was used to do the original swirl, possibly a sponge. Next will be trying to match what is there. Sometimes a good drywall person can come close to matching an existing texture but not exactly, so you may want to try doing just the patch and see what you think prior to doing the entire ceiling. Remember YOU will notice the patch more than others because you know it is there. Others may not ever see the imperfections.

If you are not up to doing the task I would suggest having a professional come and give you some ideas on what is best. Depending on their level of skill they may want to blend it with the present texture, maybe not.

As for cost, that is difficult to estimate without looking at the project. I kind of use a dollar a sq.ft for large areas which includes one coat of paint. That is my western Kansas price and is subject to change. I like to work by the hour as I believe that with most small jobs it is more fair to both parties. If I give you an estimate I am sure to cover any and all possibilities of things I belief I might get into with the repair. If you trust me to work by the hour, you pay me for work actually done. But remember the person you hire by the hour better know what they are doing and must preform in an efficient and professional manor.

Get a few estimates, for a package job and by the hour. Talk with each and ask them to describe how they would repair the ceiling. Then go from there. This is probably to much information but it didn't cost much. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here