Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank1203

Estimate to Replace my Curb

frank1203
16 years ago

Hello - Can someone give me a good rule of thumb as to how to come up with a fair estimate to replace the curb in the front of my house. I have about 65 ft. worth of curb to be replaced and I do know that the township where I live does require the concrete to be set at least 18' to 24" into the ground. Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• GammyT
    16 years ago

Have you called your city, township, county or state? Where I live I do not own the curb and I am not responsible for repairing or replacing it.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I have already contacted the township and the owner of the house is responsible to replace the curb. I already got one estimate which was $1,900. The reason for the high cost is that apparnetly there is some kind of requirement in the township that the footers for the new curb have to go down close to 2 feet. I absolutley hate spending close to 42,00 on a curb!

• heimert
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a tough township. Are they forcing you to replace it or are you doing it for aesthetics? If it were me, I would dig deeper to determine whether in fact it's required. Municipalities are known to claim homeowners are responsible for maintaining public space when in fact they're not (I was told I had to keep a treed area across the street from me clean--I asked for any statute or regulation showing that I was responsible, and got no answer). If it is on your dollar, I'd also consider doing something less than the required two feet, although that may be for durability (i.e., frost heaves).

• frank1203
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To answer your question - the township has not instructed me to replace the curb. Replacement is mainly for aesthetics on my part, but there are certain areas that are broken and crumbling which also create a safety issue. The township requires going down 2 feet, so I cannot deviate from that. As a matter of fact, the township requires the contractor to obtain a permit to do the work which is baked into his estimate of $1,900.

• hendricus
    16 years ago

"but there are certain areas that are broken and crumbling which also create a safety issue. "

What's so unsafe, you don't walk or drive on the curb unless you're a kid and then the broken parts are more fun and challenging.

• lbpod
    16 years ago

Have you looked into granite curbing?

• frank1203
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, since I last posted, I have gone out and gotten several estimates that range from $1,500 to $2,200. Obviously, I'd like to go with the cheapest, but don't know if cheap price equates to cheap work. Can you really mess up a curb or do you think I'm safe going with the cheapest price?

• heimert
    16 years ago

For price differences that aren't that great, I would go with the contractor who seems most trustworthy. It's certainly possible to pour cement poorly or use substandard material that will decay more rapidly. And you won't know for 15-20 years.

• mikesarahmaverik_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I just have a quick question regarding an estmate on a broken (chiped) curb. The apartments that i live in are charging me for damage to a curb. It is a chip about 2 feet long on the top edge of the curb. I live in Va. and I dont know the rules on curbs here but if someone has a good guesstimate or something, it would help ease the blow. They have been known to rip people off here at these apartments and rack up the price on there estimate when the actual cost of repair is less, they just pocket the rest...im not even sure if this is even my damage to the curb sence its park anywear around here... anyone have an idea on what this should cost??

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Do a search on Abocrete for repairs.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

Kwik kerb may have a local person near you, if you go past all the franchising info on their main page they may have that info. I thought of them because I saw one of their little machines in operation and thought they were kind of nifty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kwik Kerb

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Kwick Kerb is not very likely to be able to meet the requirements for roadside curb.

Decorative curb is not nearly the same weight, depth, and size as roadside curb.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

Perhaps not in all areas but it was roadside kerbs I saw a kwik kerb guy doing (admittedly in Australia) - when I saw the neat little gizmo they use, and how quick it actually was, I thought it looked like a nice little wicket (a good job to be in) - provided I suppose, you don't have to do the prep work yourself.