Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing windows on a brick home

Posted by nailit (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 4:32

my windows on my house need to be changed out. they are about 25 yrs old and only single pain. i want to install new doulble insulated windows but the front oif my house is brick how hard is it to change out? the new windows will be alluminum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing windows on a brick home

It can be difficult to seal the new window against the sheathing so get a good experienced contractor, waterproofing consultant/contractor or design professional to assist you.

o
RE: replacing windows on a brick home

If you have brick veneer (1 brick thick, wood framing on the inside) the issue is sealing the window to the brick.
Polyurethane caulks are about the best thing going to close the gap between the brick mold and the brick.

If you have a masonry house (wall are 2 bricks thick with no interior framing in outside walls) I have yet to see a replacement window company that can deal with masonry openings without adding wooden bucks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here