Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriavine

Missing an automatic garage door clicker

plumeriavine
14 years ago

What is an easy solution to this?

My girlfriend borrowed my only clicker and lost it.

Where does one get another clicker and get it programmed or whatever to make it work?

Maybe a dumb question, but that's my problem.

Comments (13)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

All the makers of openers offer extra remotes, though if it is an older unit with switch settings it may no longer be available.

Adding a new rolling code unit would be a good idea.
    The new control board and remotes are not that expensive.

• maryland_irisman
    14 years ago

You can buy a universal opener at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Just make sure you do as brickeyee mentioned. If yours is the older type that uses dip switches, that's what you need to pick up. They all come with instructions on how to program it, it's an easy process.

• plumeriavine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes - It was indeed an old pin type.

So, an new control board with new remotes. Will check it out. Thanks!

• hendricus
    14 years ago

Google 'dip switch remote control' and you will probably find one you can use. No need to change everything that still works.

You should be able to see on the side of the opener how many dip switches it uses.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"No need to change everything that still works. "

Except someone can sit in front of your house and get the door to open in about 5 minutes.

It does not take very long to try all 256 possible codes for an 8 switch unit, or 1024 for a 10 switch unit.

The rolling codes are about as secure as you will ever see.
    the odds of finding the next code in the very long sequence of codes is about zero, and it changes every time the code is sent.

• maryland_irisman
    14 years ago

We've had this before....the older type (dip switch) frequencies are in the same range as aircraft frequencies and a transmission keyed from an aircraft flying over can open or close the door. There are devices now used by potential burglers that run the range of frequencies and within 5 minutes, can operate the older doors. That's why the floating codes brickeyee mentions were devised. These same devices have been modified to allow the user to gain access to unsecured wireless networks. People have been caught driving through neighborhoods and business parks using these devices to gain access to these networks to either get free use of the internet or, obtain online banking entries. These sophisticated people also sit in parking lots and record the frequencies as people use their wireless fobs to lock and unlock their vehicles. Floating codes offer much greater protection.

• sdello
    14 years ago

I guess it depends on your neighborhood or your level of paranoia. If the unit has dip switches, then it's been installed for a good number of years. If no problems have arisen over those years related to the limitations of the dip switches then it may be a reasonable risk to assume that there will be no problems in the forseeable future. Therefore replacing the remote with another dip switch controller to get the unit operational seems like the best approach.

If the OP wants to upgrade to a rolling code unit then I say just replace the entire unit with a new one. Sounds foolish to retrofit an older unit with a new control board and remote and retain the original motor and trolley setup.

Further, I suspect the OP opener predates the safety sensors at the base of the door. Another reason to upgrade the whole unit if he decides to do that.

A real cheap way out would be to check ebay for a remote or to call a local garage door guy, tell him your make and model number and see if he's got a used dip switch remote in a junk drawer.

Just my 0.02.

• plumeriavine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My goodness! So many complexities! I learn so much here on GW!

Fortunately, we found the clicker in the garden on a wall. It had weathered storms and irrigation, but it still works.

An upgrade, though, sounds like an advisable action from many standpoints.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"I guess it depends on your neighborhood or your level of paranoia. If the unit has dip switches, then it's been installed for a good number of years. If no problems have arisen over those years related to the limitations of the dip switches then it may be a reasonable risk to assume that there will be no problems in the forseeable future. "

So if the back door lock has been broken for 5 years and no one has entered that way there is no point in fixing it?

There are real reasons everyone has gone to rolling code.

• sdello
    14 years ago

"So if the back door lock has been broken for 5 years and no one has entered that way there is no point in fixing it?

There are real reasons everyone has gone to rolling code."

It's not "everyone" it's the manufacturers.

Not for anything but if you live in a rural area where the crime rate is low, then yeah what's the rush to fix it? not to mention that if someone really wanted to break in all they need to do is break a small pane of glass and reach in and unlock the door.

No doubt rolling codes offer better security and it makes sense to improve technology on new units, but some people have automatic openers just for the convenience of having a self-opening/closing door. Again, depends where you live, but I'd wager that not everyone that has a manual door locks it everytime they close the door. It's much easier to walk over and open it and not have to dig for a key.

My point is I would not necessarily advice everyone with a dip switch based opener that they've used for decades without incident to run out and upgrade the logic board and remote on it for security reasons. You want to upgrade to newer technology then replace the entire unit.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

A friend of ours, when garage door openers first came out, discovered that a frequency on his communication radio opened the neighbors garage door. He had an upstairs apartment and drove the service people called out as well as the owners crazy all in the comfort of his pad!

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"You want to upgrade to newer technology then replace the entire unit. "

There is no reason to upgrade the logic board just to get rolling code.

Every unit has a connection for a push button, and rolling code boards are available that connect to this just like a push button (they can usually be connected in parallel with a button that is already there.

Given the ease of opening doors with the dip switch remotes it is an inexpensive security upgrade.

Or you can wait and do it after the fact ...

• sdello
    14 years ago

"Adding a new rolling code unit would be a good idea.
    The new control board and remotes are not that expensive."

This statement threw me as I was not aware of these self-contained kits. (it's amazing what one can find with, an internet conenction, a search engine, and a little time). If someone is going to replace the remote and/or wants improved security. This is an excellent idea.

The attached link shows one for $30 and as brickeyee said is very easy to install.

Here is a link that might be useful: rolling code remote upgrade