Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage Doo Conversion kit

Posted by iggie (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 1:15

Recently someone posted a web site where a kit can be purchased to convert a garage door from the spring cable type opening system to one using the torsion rod setup, if anyone has the site and can post it I would greatly appreciate it, try as I might I cannot find the message in the old posts, thanks Iggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage Doo Conversion kit

There is quite a bit of hardware involved here. I think it might even be close to the price of a new door. I would call around and get some estimates. I don't recommend any DIY when it comes to torsion springs.

o

I had a new garage door bought from a big box store and they had some names of installers there. He installed door and new hardware for I think about 250-300, and took the old door and hardware and recycled what could be. It would probably be worth it to have someone who really knows how to do this properly do it for you.

o

iggie-
Just to emphasize what don_1_2006 said about torsion springs: there have been quite a few case of serious injuries and deaths caused by non-professionals messing around with torsion springs on garage doors. I think I remember another thread here on GardenWeb where someone mentioned that they lost most of their lower jaw from such an accident. This is one DIY situation I wouldn't get close to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here