Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinish metal doorframe?

Posted by stuvwxyz99 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 0:50

About to buy an NYC co-op apartment, built in the mid 50s. It has steel doorframes. I imagine there are 50 yrs worth of paint on the doorframes (maybe including lead paint). Is it worthwhile having the contractor strip this back to the bare metal before painting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinish metal doorframe?

depends on the condition of the paint that is there. If it is in good shape you just want it another color, just have it painted. If the painted surface is in poor shape it would need to be stripped.

o

Thanks. To a layman, what would indicate good shape or lack thereof? Will it be obvious when I look at it?

o

yes, and the finish should be smooth, no visible areas where a previous layer was missing. No flaking of the finish.

o

if it looks like it's got a dozen coats of paint on it, then adding another layer will look the same but with a new color. If there are drips, dirt, and other irregularities and imperfections in the surface then they will bleed through and be seen in the recoat.

Options are to sand the exiting smooth or strip completely and prep (sand/prime) the steel and recoat.

I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that there is lead paint on the doors. If you opt to sand the existing paint, get a good respirator. IMHO, the dangers of lead paint get grossly exaggerated in the general media, but you don't want to be ingesting it. If it's encapsulated and stable there's really not a problem.

Good luck

o

Thanks for the info sdello and millworkman.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here