Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace glass pane in patio sliding door

Posted by achiel142 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 22:58

Hello all,

The double-glass pane (insulated glass) of the sliding panel of an aluminum patio sliding door needs to be replaced because the outside glass pane is broken. I don't know what brand these doors are because I just bought the house and the previous owners cannot be reached. At the very bottom LHS of the glass I was able to read the following:

GUARDIAN
Richburg, S.C.
Safety Tempered
SSCC 1630 I/8U
18 CFR 1201 II

The glass pane is held in position with black rubber gasket channel. The size of the sliding panel is approximately 36-3/4" by 78-3/4"

Any information on make, supplier, glass replacement instructions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Achilles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace glass pane in patio sliding door

I suspect the original glass was manufactured by guardian Industries. see the link.

Option would be:
1)call their representative closest to you and explain the situation and ask for some guidance.
2) look up "Glass" in your local yellow pages and call someone for direction
3)remove the door and take to a local glass place and see if they can get you a replacement.

hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Guardian Industries

o

Many of the sliding glass door lites are the same size. Contact a glass and glazing contractor near you and they will come out and measure it. There is a good chance that they will have it in stock because so many door brands use the same size. Or you could remove it and take it to their shop (as sdello suggested) if you want to save a service call

o

Hi achiel142,

How's your sliding door? Have you replaced it? How did it go?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here