Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shortcake88

Craftsman Garage Door Opener

shortcake88
15 years ago

Hi-I have a 1990 model#139.53718 Craftsman Garage Door Opener. It only opens part way and it won't close. It doesn't matter if I use the remote or the door wall switch. What could be the problem? When I attempt to open the door, it only opens part way and when I attempt to close the door it begins to close and then goes into reverse but it doesn't actually close. Please help, if I could fix the problem myself I'd rather do that but if I need to call a technician out I would like to be sure that technician is necessary. Also, when I disable the automatic it does work fine manually but of course I would like to use the automatic option. Thanks!!!

Comments (8)

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

The first thing you should do is take the cover off the motor unit and check the condition of the drive gear. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor. Sounds like it could be bad.

• shortcake88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, thanks for the speedy response, I have removed the cover and I don't understand how to determine if the drive gear is bad. I also discovered that if I press the remote after the door has stuck mid-ways up it will reverse and then travel a little further up until and I press the remote again, it will reverse again and travel a little further up, after repeating this multiple times the garage door will finally open and the same scenario takes place when garage door is closing. Thanks so Much!!!

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

The gear will have teeth that are chewed up or missing. Should be fairly obvious.

• shortcake88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, it's all chewn up into shreds. Since my garage door opener is almost 20 years old would I be better off getting a new garage door opener or just having this repaired. Can I repair it myself or will I need a technician. I was quoted $315 for a new one. Is that a good price?? Again, thanks so much!!!

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

If you are mechanically inclined you can replace the gear yourself. It should come with instructions. The part number is 41A2817 and is available at Sears or most any door service company.

• richinpa
    15 years ago

I replaced our gear about 2 months ago since the teeth had worn off. It was a little tight to move around inside of the opener, which made the whole thing take some time, but it worked and the operation of the door became much quieter. I don't think the subsequent issue I posted tonight is related, but who knows??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• liz92b
    15 years ago

my 1992 GDO model 139.18616SR (1/2 hp) flaked out on me on Monday. Hit the wall button and the door opened; when the door was completely open, the motor kept on running; had to hit the button again to make the motor stop. Now, hitting either the wall or remote button will make the motor run but the door (nor the chain) will move. I can open the door manually.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Take the cover off the motor unit and check the drive gear. Sounds like it is stripped.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider