Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tons of hairline cracks in Shaw sink

Posted by jeanar (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 22:28

I have a theory that our drain was "overtightened" in our new sink and that is the cause of the ton of hairline cracks in the bottom of our Rohl farmhouse ink. It's fireclay. Does anyone know if this might be the case? Or something else? Just a crappy sink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tons of hairline cracks in Shaw sink

Go to the manufacturers web site and see if they have the mounting instructions for the drain which would include precautions on over tightening. If not, contact them directly and explain your situation.
Ron

o

Search using these two words like this

Define: crazing

Today, I got this and more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazing

Causing it was probably either a thermal stress or a mechanical one.

-david

o

I went to the web site for this sink. It's 1 1/2" thick on the bottom, so over tightening would be unlikely.
David's suggestion of a thermal stress sounds like the problem. Pouring boiling water into the sink without running water from the faucet to temper the heat could be the cause.
When I ordered a corian sink with a countertop, the homeowner was cautioned not to do the above without turning on the faucet first.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here