Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Renovation cost

Posted by krishmunn (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 21:42

Can someone help me with an estimate for major renovation of a 1500 square feet Old House.
Either a per squarefeet estimate or a estimate by components is fine -
The components that I can think of are --

Roof

Windows
Heating System (Gas)
Floor (wooden)
Pipes (2 Bathroom and Kitchen)

sidings
Electric wiring

We are in Massachusetts (Boston suburbs) . I understand an estimate is an estimate is an estimate but a high end estimate (including labor and midgrade materials) will be very helpful.
I am planning to use contractor for all work

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Renovation cost

Sounds like a tear down and build new would be the most cost effective.

Your request is impossible to respond to without any pictures or firsthand knowledge of the structure.

Call some local contractors and have them provide an estimate.

I believe that new construction can range from ~$75 to $125/sq ft. That might be a start.

o

That's basically everything that makes a house except for the foundation, studs, and insulation (which should also be addressed). 85-90% of all of the most expensive stuff at least. But, renovations cost more than new construction per square foot because the walls aren't open, and you're trying not to do damage to stuff that will be saved, and it's just plain harder!

So, a teardown does make more sense. Especially in a high land value location like Boston.

o

In a lot of the metro areas there, the red tape to do a tear down May make it easier to just do a complete gut to the studs and rebuild rather than an actual tear down. Sorta a tear down within the existing footprint. It won't be cheap, but blowing your nose there probably costs you a $100 permit and environmental impact study.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here