Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Heater on Bouncy Wood Floor

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 21:34

My utility room is over a crawl space. Its a wood floor that is kinda of bouncy. My son tried to shore up the floor using some of the ideas on this forum.

However, there is still a slight bounce, enough that you walk right next to the water heater the heater vibrates a bit. When the washing machine goes into the spin it also shakes the heater slightly for a moment. Its only noticable when you have a bubble level sitting on top of the water heater and you see the bubble move a bit when walking around the unit.

Do you think it is normal to have some deflection as I describe with a wood floor and a heavy item?

I notice my refrigerator has the same very slight vibration too when I walk past it in the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Heater on Bouncy Wood Floor

I would be concerned about dry rot if the crawl space is not properly sealed or ventilated. Reinforcing the joists should remedy the problem if the joists are deep enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here