Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electrical de icers for gutters areas

Posted by johnnyrazbrix (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 21:26

If I have done all I can do in the way of ventilation and insulation will electrical deicers work and are they safe. How do they connect to an electrical source? Can they be manually turned off and on ? I live in Michigan and it can get cold here. Right now it is about 5 degrees. Because of some insulation work I did today it may be not needed but i would like to know. Thanks for help. Johnny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electrical de icers for gutters areas

I would install a receptacle under the eave to plug the deicer into and wire it to be controled by a switch elsewhere. (Can also be used for Christmas lights)
Most, if not all, electric deice systems have inline thermostats to turn them on in icing conditions and off in warmer temps (>48F).
The ones I've seen claim to be effective down to 0F.

o
RE: electrical de icers for gutters areas

Thanks Randy .We had a heat wave today. It got up to 35.It is supposed to snow again so I will be able to see if there is a difference.Johnny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here