Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flickering lights

Posted by jockewing (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 12, 10 at 20:42

A couple of months ago, I noticed the lights in my kitchen fixtures, the pantry, and back porch flicker. There is an incandescent chandelier in the b-fast nook, a fluorescent fixture in the kitchen and pantry, and regular outdoor incandescent on the porch and floodlights off the back of the porch. Sometimes they flicker intermittently the whole time they're on, sometimes they don't flicker at all.

I do notice that sometimes the fluorescent fixture will get much brighter than normal and the flickering stops. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the ballast in the fluorescent causing all the problems, but the flickering happens even when the fluorescent is turned off.

Any ideas on how to even start figuring out this problem. Would like to try to fix on my own first.

Also, my house is about 9 years old, and soon after I moved in, the plugs on the front and back porch and the light above the master bathtub quit working. Have never gotten this fixed as I really never use that light or those outlets. Kind of embarassing, I know. Any thoughts? Never had any other electrical problems to speak of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flickering lights

Post this in the Electrical Forum, it's very active there.

When the light gets brighter without flickering is there an electric dryer or electric stove/cooktop operating?

For the nonoperating lights look for a GFCI in the garage or other unlikely place.

o

It would probably be well worth the cost to have an electrician inspect your entire house.

o

Lights getting brighter is a symptom of a loose neutral connection on you main supply. It could be in your panel, in the meter base or the POCO connections at the weather head or pole transformer.

o

Get a licensed, reputable electrician in to trouble shoot your problem and make the fix. Well worth the money for a pro, especially when it comes to electrical.

o

If it is a loose neutral using a high wattage 120 volt device should make it more obvious. A 240 volt device should have little effect since it doesn't use a neutral.

o

I discovered why my front outside lights were flickering, 5 of them.
All on the same switch were affected by a broken or loose glow wire inside one of the lightbulbs. Problem solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here