Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

One Layer Roof: add the new shingles directly on top or else?

chueh
14 years ago

I had two roofers look at my house for some damage. There are about 10 shingles missing and another 10 tabs missing. The first roofer gave me the estimate and told me that he could directly add new shingles on the roof.

The second roofer did no give me an estimate at all, but he would repair whatever the insurance company pays. I thought that this way is more practical and I probably don't have to pay something that's not needed to be changed or repaired. I had to sign a contract with this roofer though that I would use him to get the job done. However, if the insurance company declines/disapprove the claim, this contract is automatically invalid.

I did sign the contract before the insurance adjuster came. The insurance company estimated the cost of the roof repair is much too low. The roofer said that he needed to take the layer underneath the shingles out in order to put the new one on. Thus, what the insurance estimates is not going to be enough to cover the repair cost.

Well, my question here is not about the insurance or the cost, but about ONE-layer shingle roof. I had these two roofers saying the different things. For repairs, is the layer underneath the shingles needed to be taken out/changed/replaced in order to repair. I actually HEARD from other people that only do double layer roof need to take the layer underneath the shingles off.

Comments (5)

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

" For repairs, is the layer underneath the shingles needed to be taken out/changed/replaced in order to repair."

Simply put: NO.

You do not need to remove underlying shingle layers in order to repair a roof.

But I think you are missing some of the fine points that exist between these two estimate.

First, one can typically 'cover over' a roof with existing shingles with only 1 additional 'covered over' layer. Almost every shingle manufacturer permits this practice and will warrant the practice.

Second, you do not normally need to remove any 'underlying' shingle layers in order to 'repair' shingles. But this method can leave you with unmatched colored shingles since new shingles will normally never match old shingles. So you end up with a roof that doesn't leak, but a roof that looks like crap.

Bottom Line: You are probably better off covering the entire roof with new shingles if the insurance company will pay for it.

• chueh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, manhattan42. What about MISSING shingles? Since there is no shingle there, can the roofer just add individual shingle directly on top? What is the dark layer underneath the shingles, tarp paper?

• hendricus
    14 years ago

The shingle above has to be loosened and the replacement slid under and then nailed.

Yes. Keeps the roof dry before shingles are installed.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

A lot hinges on how old the existing roof is. If fifteen years or older,(+ or - dependent on where you live), stripping the old roofing off is advised as it not only gives you a chance to inspect the sheathing, flashings, vents, etc., but keeps the weight down compared to a re-roof. Replacing the missing shingles is, in most cases, only going to lead to the roofer coming back repeatedly due to the existing shingles in other areas pulling off. Should you decide to go with a re-cover over the existing, insist that they lay down 30# saturated felt between the new and old. If this barrier isn't applied, the existing shingles will draw some of the life out of the new shingles prematurely lessening it's life span. It's typically a better bet to strip the existing shingles off and going with a new roof. More money initially, but saves you dinero in the long run.

• chueh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see. I learned a lot from your answers. Thanks