Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxan1

why don't contractors call back?

roxan
14 years ago

I need a new roof and called 2 contractors and set up appointments for estimates. First one came and said he would send me an estimate that evening with a follow up phone call next day. It has been 4 days and no email, no phone call. Second guy comes and gives me a written estimate on the spot. I want at least 2 or 3 estimates before I hire the contractor but 3 other companies never called me back to set an appointment. I have one appointment pending but am not sure at this point if they will show up.

Does anyone have any insight as to why people don't want the business? I live in a fairly nice neighborhood and the job is a normal tear down and full re-roof on a one story (3500sf). I don't want to hound them and figure if they want the business they should call back. Am I wrong? What am I missing here? Thanks.

Comments (34)

• greenfingernail
    14 years ago

OMG - I've been wrestling with the very same issue!!
    In fact when I prompted one with an email after 2 weeks (when he promised an estimate in 2 days) he came back with an excuse that he had broken his leg! I sympathised and called him back for a follow-up since I had no other leads - again no phone call as promised; but on prodding he came back saying his brother had to be admitted to the emergency room with a stomach virus and there was no one to take care of his sister! I still continued but wasn;t able to close the deal, because I was promised a final revisiion christmas week, and I'm wondering whether I was just being given the run along - calling again will be pointless.
    Meanwhile others came with good references and came to take measurements/ but no call back with estimate!!!
    I've been at this from Thanksgiving!!

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

It seems that business is picking up again. I hope a contractor will respond to this and let us know, because it is getting frustrating. I've heard that they *know* we just want an estimate and they might not get the job, so they give it a low priority.
    I hate the excuses, though. We gave up with getting estimates and went through Angie's list last time we needed plaster work done. I told the guy that he was my only choice, and it worked. But I don't want to have to do that for the porch renovation we are trying to get bids on now - it's much bigger.

• GammyT
    14 years ago

Small hint, if a contractor doesn't call you back when you are offering to pay money, you sure as heck wont hear from him once you give him money.

Call other roofers roxan, a full re-roof on 3500 sq feet is not just a patch job. Real roofers would be begging for that job.

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

Why won't roofers call you back?

Here are some possible reasons:

1) Is your roof covered with snow? Hard to estimate the condition of a roof without seeing the actual condition of existing shingles, to be able to count the number of existing layers, or to be able to spot other factors like lack of ventilation or rot that could affect an estimate. Call back in early March and see what happens.

2) Its winter. Depending upon where you live, most roofers in cold climates simply don't work in winter. Many plan their limited vacations in January and February. Some may be opened for some emergency repair work only but with most of their seasonal staff laid off. Some offices close for the winter entirely.

3) They do not need the work. Even in sluggish economies, some trades like roofing, plumbing, and heating still do ok.

4) Do you live in an area recently affected by severe weather? New Orleans and parts of Florida may still be experiencing lack of professional roofers. In cases like these, the guys who DO call you back and give you a fast estimate may be the ones to avoid...because these are the ones who can't find work even when work comes calling for whatever reasons like: Word is out about them for being crooks, drunks, illegals...

5)Job is more than they can handle. A small 1 or 2 man roofing outfit may not want to take on a rip-off of existing shingles on a large roof. Too much liability for damage.

6)Something about YOU the roofers don't like. Maybe they think they will have a hard time getting paid. Maybe word is out about YOU. Trades people share horror stories about bad customers and word gets around about bad customers too.

Just some random thoughts...

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

Well, a lot of times a contractor won't get back in touch with someone he percieves isn't in touch with reality on the price, or someone who isn't specific enough about the job that they want done.

In your case, your written bid specs should contain:

removal of old shingles
    replacement of up to XX amount of felt underlayment
    replacement of up to XX amount of damaged sheathing
    WR Grace Ice & water shield for XX inches above eaves
    copper (or aluminum) flashing for roofing valleys and chimneys
    Specific style of shingles (3 tab architectural shingles, standing seam metal roofing, builder grade 4 tabs)

If you aren't specific enough in your requests, then contractors think you are pie in the sky price shopping rather than a serious customer. If you think that you can do all of the above on a 5K budget, then you are going to be a difficult customer to deal with because of sticker shock.

I'm not saying you are guilty of any of the above, but one way to get better responses is with the above. Be specific with your requests, and expect to pay for a quality job. Also, it takes time to work a bid, so set a realistic goal to hear back from a contractor. In a non emergency job, you should say, "I will be making a decision in the next two weeks, so I need your bid by the first of next week. Are you intersted in the job enough to be able to get back to me within this timeframe?" If they say yes and don't, then it's worth one phone call to followup. Life does happen. If you don't receive the bid within 48 hours of that followup, drop them from consideration.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

Ask friends, family, co-workers for referalls. If you personally know anyone in most any trade or in the building materials business, that might be another decent route for referalls.

Another route is if you see a roof going on a house similar to what you are after, knock on the door and ask the homeowner how it's going with that particular outfit.

Most important is when you find a reputable roofer, make sure they are licensed, insured, and will warrant their install coinciding with the mfgr's warranty of the materials. They will know what is code and needed in your area concerning underlayments, flashings, venting, etc., and should offer options that are upgraded above code minimums such as flashing types, underlayments, grades of roofing types, etc.

• newhomeowner-2009
    14 years ago

That's a BIG problem in the Catskills. Contractors are notorious for not calling back. One advertises in the yellow pages "will return all calls," as if it's a big thing. Maybe it's a problem elsewhere too.

I don't think it's that you, the customer, have a bad reputation. I had that problem right after I moved in and was trying to get bids on a roof and a painting job. It turned out to be a serious problem because I did not get multiple bids on the roof, and the guy who I did hire stank.

I think it's that they just don't need the work. Some do, have more pressing financial needs, and will get back to you.

The guy who did get back to me on painting turned out to be cheap, efficient, and terrific. He also does odd jobs. See, he needs the work. Has a growing family. But a roofer who I contacted, a guy with a great reputation, just isn't that hungry and never returned my calls.

A painter did get back in touch with me. This was the fall. He couldn't start till the spring and he wanted half paid six months in advance!

It's a question of supply and demand. A good roofer/contractor/painter would do well in the Catskills, even in this economy.

• Stephen Costa
    14 years ago

I think any contractor who has a front-office, or any business development side to their business will do a lot better at responding to quote requests (and being responsive to all the follow-up questions on the quote).

However, the flip-side is that contractors with office and project management help will cost more. Sometimes it's worth it...

• neonrider
    10 years ago

I think it is the problem of dignity and self-respect. Unfortunately many contractors lack it. It's uprooted deep in the culture to not keep one's promises. Where I came from to keep one's promise is very important and those who don't keep their promises are left to rot and never make their living.

• debodun
    3 years ago

I have the same problem. A roofer came, took measurements and said he'd get back to me in a day or two with a quote. After two weeks, I heard nothing form him an called and left a message reminder. That was 2 days ago and nobody called be back.

• Jeffrey Blank
    3 years ago

When we did major renovations and tried various contractors, it took a while and many calls to find one who knew how to use a telephone. I gave him all out business and 2 major renovations. He did great work and a good price. They are hard to find.

• debodun
    3 years ago

When they say "Give us a few days." does that mean "We're going to run a credit check on you."? If they try that, nothing is going to show because I never had a credit card. If they won't take my check, it's their loss. My checks are better than some people's credit cards.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Not making excuses for folks, but sometimes being a good contractors does not = being a good businessman. When you are dealing with smaller overhead organizations, it is VERY easy to get overwhelmed and buried on a moments notice.

• Thomas P
    3 years ago

Well, as a Contractor in Ca. for over 25 yrs. We sometimes don't call back because some people want a $1,000 job done for $100. Or we know this person is just going to be more hassle than it's worth. OR, we are just way too busy at the time. But, most of the time, people are clueless of what it cost to do business in Ca. What do you pay your Dentist for an hr.? A Mechanic? A Dr.?

Well, none of those people can do what we do. And vice versa.

• Sara D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What level of communication should I expect when the contractor has picked up the permits I paid for (the summer of COVID) and has yet to respond to my once a month check in email?

I even gave him a break in February as a Valentine's present to not email.

Might not email in March either. What is the point?

He knows my budget. Again, he picked up my permits from city hall... it is about a $40K remodel with a decent contingency fund. Is it just too small a project? Should I ask for my permits and plans back?

I feel like I will just get the same run around from any other contractor. Does anyone have a good contractor story?

My friend keeps trying to get me to hire this gal's husband... I can't afford to have one guy who works alone remodel all of my 1920's plumbing, finish rewiring the knob and tube, take out walls, build custom cabinets for the kitchen, and put in new posts and piers.... I don't want to be in a two year remodel that should take 6 weeks.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"and has yet to respond to my once a month check in email?"

"I don't want to be in a two year remodel that should take 6 weeks."

Once a month is all you email him? Have you tried calling him? Texting? Registered mail? As far as remodel time, if he picked up permits last summer your already 8 months in so that 6 weeks time frame is out the window. Do you have a contract with him? If so what type? Have you given him money?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

^^ What he said, do you have a contract? I don't pull permits unless I have a signed contract. If it's been 8 months and you haven't heard from him, he could be dead by now.

If you gave him a deposit, contact the right authorities and try to get your money back, and start looking for someone else, unless you wanna hang out for another year and see if he shows up?

• Sara D
    3 years ago

@millworkman and @GN Builders L.L.C

Thanks for your replies. If 2020 was not the year of COVID, I would have expected much more. I have not given him any money. I do not have a signed contract. I don't think he is dead. I did text one month instead of emailing. No result. I am sort of a sap I guess in giving him a break due to COVID. I am pretty sure he is home schooling his kids so his wife can teach her students virtually.

This project is beyond 2 years already because the architect drug out her part to 13 months, which did not fit the contractor's schedule once she finished her bit. He had recommended her, but I am not sure he knew her that well. She does do good technical work but is a total snob to contractor. Ironically, now she is pushing me to find another contractor, when everyone said I should ditch her at months 6 through 12 of her 'process'. She did reach out to the contractor in January and he apparently replied to her, that he was aware my permit expired in June 2021.

This is a pretty rural area. I don't think there are that many good, available contractors. Seeking someone else I probably would barely make their schedule for this summer. The project will involve the plumbing for the whole house so I will have to move out to a rental. So though the project planning, etc will be over 2 years... I can't afford to have the plumbing torn up for 2 years.... that was my reference on one guy going it alone trying to fix it all.

Again appreciate your replies. It gives me something to think about.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Roxana, the reason they don't call back could be a simple one, when they leave the house they realize that they shouldn't be there, to begin with, and they have no intentions of doing any work or don't need any work, etc.

Could be 1000 reasons why someone would not call a customer back, could be some red flags that they see, etc... It could be anything and only they know the answer.

That said if you don't hear from someone for a few weeks or a few months and during that time you flood him with phone calls or emails, to a point he feels he is being stalked, etc if he didn't call by now, you will never hear from him again and that should be obvious that he is not interested doing the work, time to move on and look for someone else.

• debodun
    3 years ago

Also, watch out for the opposite - contractors that keep calling asking if you decided on their business to do the work. They seem too anxious. Maybe they can't get work because they are incompetent.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

I wouldn't call that being too anxious but more being professional and following up to see if the customer has any questions, or if they made a decision, this way they know the outcome of their bid and can put the job on the schedule.

I always follow up and most contractors I know do the same... Not to mention after you spend a few days or a week putting an estimate depending on the project size, or they could be following up for other reasons.

To think that they are anxious it's plain wrong and comments like that send the wrong message to the homeowner and to the contractor... "damn if you do and damn if you don't".

• Sara D
    3 years ago

thanks for the insight

• HU-418883882
    last year

Contractors I have sometimes dealt with ask for all the details of the job to be emailed to them. I don't mind doing that and I even include pictures - anything to make efficient use of their time. But often, I still won't get any response. I wait about a week to be sure they received the information and call them. If they answer, they almost always come up with some silly story as to why they haven't responded and then they 'promise to get back to me in a week'. That usually never happens and I don't chase them. Instead I post my experience on Yelp or Google Reviews. And THAT gets a response. Not a call, but some tired storyline in the review response section.

If enough people do this, the consumer can see what type of business these guys are running.

Roxan is absolutely right, it would be so simple for any contractor to just respond with any of the three options listed. Instead they have no regard for any professional courtesy.

• Sara D
    last year
    last modified: last year

Contractor issue update.... post Covid (almost?). The guy who had my permits finally gave me a bid in Nov 2021. The bid was for over $250K. We hadn't talked details about the project in 18 months plus... Seriously? There were lines for each kind of other contractor he would bring on to do their part. Umm, no thanks.

He seemed surprised that I would balk when my original budget had come up to around $125K. He then shared that his partners and himself had decided to focus on carpentry and would hire out everything else to be done. So in the time I frist met him to getting the bid (almost 3 years)- their business plan had changed. He was planning on being a carpenter/project manager who sub-contracted everything that wasn't wood working out. Oh please.

He inferred because the real estate market had changed, a loan to invest even more than planned into the home would pay off in the end. My house would have to sell for around $600K for that to be true. Though the house has increased in value since I purchased it, it will likely not sell for more than $400K in my lifetime. It is a busy street, and not a posh neighborhood.

Now, I am happy to say that the electician the carpenter put me in touch with, who had begun his part of the whole house electrical replacement, has stepped up to help me find a general contractor that is semi retired. So I have had to start from scratch. New draftsman, to help with the plans for the permit. Can't use the architect's plan for change, but can use her drawings of the original house to start the new plan from. Scope of the project will be scaled back. Priorities have changed since the pandemic for me. Ordered cabinets this week, with 3 month lead time. So it is nice to say things might be happening now.

• HU-418883882
    last year

Glad to hear some good news for your project Sara! You’ve waited a long time.

As a former licensed contractor, and now a full time real estate investor, I have been on both sides of this arena. I can remember interviewing a finish carpenter who told me how skilled he was trimming ornate staircases, stacked crown molding, etc. When I brought him over to a compound miter and asked him to install a simple piece of crown, he spent 15 minutes adjusting the saw, made three wrong cuts, complained about the molding and finally said its been a while and maybe he “forgot a few things”. Unbelievable. When I hear ridiculous excuses from these guys, I know right away what they are all about. Many of them are just day laborers calling themselves “pros”. They would rather complain about the distance they have to walk to a house than swing a hammer and earn an honest day’s pay.

So, it’s got to be hard to deal with these types as a homeowner. Many of these self proclaimed contractors overstate their skills beyond the pale of mere exaggeration to downright lying. They are also the same ones who complain about everything: its too hot to work, too cold, they left their tool bag at home, etc.… Any excuse to stay home and drink. Its sad but true. Some of them have spent more time in prison than on a jobsite. So be sure you do a background check before you let anyone in your home to do work because there does seem to be a correlation between the amount of complaining and the incarceration rate of some of these guys. Anyone who doesn’t have the professionalism to return a call or, worse yet, not show up for a client meeting should be called out on it using the array of review sites I mentioned previously.

Now after writing all that, its only fair to say that not all contractors are like this. You seem to have found a very decent electrician who is assisting you with a new GC. I wish you all the best with your addition and I hope it is completed soon and on budget.

• HU-301521130
    last year

I have had same problems contractors not showing or not giving estiments or preposels few mail them now want your email . They waste your time most all never hear from again weather the job to big or small . its bull crap they are jokers some sell your email address have heard . ive been in business many many years ago an always gave estimantes on yhe spot you dont waste peoples time its unprofessonal an disrespectful if there not home mail or come back talk to them . Some people are more personal than others but means alot . The older generation wants to know who an whats being done its important should be. I think now they are playing Psychology games with people now there only in business to suck people dry . My motto was the ones that can pay ( charge more ) they need spread it around the ones that cant get a blessing from . We all need help . Just dont waste peoples time . If you have done something long enough ( skill ) you know what something cost an time to do it . Tell them if cant give a Estiment dont not to waste your time get in there truck an leave . An tell them not to go back on there word .

• debodun
    last year

What get me is when they show up then say they can't do the job and you have to pay a trip charge. That way they make something and don't have to do anything but drive back and forth. My poor elderly mom was billed $280 for a plumbing estimate and that was separate from the work (i.e. not to be applied to the job if they accepted).

• HU-301521130
    last year

Thats crazy charge for showing up i always try get free estiments because both need see who there working for . A guy i know was working for a company doing ( heating & air ) told me they would stay in basement an beat on pipes after work done for while make home owners think they did more for money were paying . Pretty sad

• Sara D
    last year

The universe must have something else in mind... so many things were set to go. The contractor now has a health crisis that could affect his vision. He has to bow out as he is not sure what the future holds for him. He has referred me to another contractor after filling him in on parts of the project. Fingers crossed the new guy is willing and able to do it a reasonable rate. The cabinets and windows have been ordered and are on the way. Trying to stay positive. Maybe it will work out in my favor after all.

• HU-301521130
    last year

I hope so it works out your favor another thing you can do is call a Union Hall an or Carpenders Union see if have anyone free give you estimates . ive I’ve just did myself for brick layers . Good Luck !

• Michael R
    last year
    last modified: last year

Talking to a contractor is like talking to a cop you don't want to say too much try not to use words like thinking or about too or shopping around. Be straight to the point!

• Sara D
    last year

@HU-301521130 The new contractor has more than one team running at a time, the team I got is fantastic. They are the kind of guys who want to point out things that are wrong, so we could do the right thing. Like Eddie and Fergus on the first runs of Love It of List It. So, more of my remodel money will go into the plumbing and some structural issues. I would rather have the behind the walls things solid and compromise to not as fancy finishes.

• Sara D
    last year

Have moved back in. I moved out the week after Thanksgiving 2022. Was in rentals for 90 days. Well, I am in the house technically. The last fix to the kitchen cabinets was this past week. The painters I hired to do the trim wrapped up yesterday. The contractor who owns the company seems to have a lot of skill. Sadly he is not on the job site unless there is a problem. He has hired guys with skills in various parts of the construction industry, but then put them in the position to do new things without training or supervision. Not bad guys, but definitelty were being set up to fail. Their painting was horrible!! That is why I contracted a painting company to prep (fix the bad prep) and prime and paint the trim in the remodeled part of the house.

I learned alot. I was between a rock and a hard place when I had to sign a contract with this company. I won't make the same mistake again. They will definintely never be asked to paint anything. They do know how to build a deck, frame, concrete work, plumbing and electrical. The most frustrating part was when they would randomly deviate from the plans because it made more sense to them, but then not deviate form the plan (or ask a question) when something was truly questionable. Some lack of foresight and planning from loose crew who seemed to rarely think to stop and ask questions... of me or their lead, or their boss. Bizarre. Not the way I would want t crew out working under my name if I owned the business.