Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bannister problems

Posted by akc_underdog (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 18:20

I live in a 130+ year old house with a beautiful bannister. The newel post is loose and several of the ballusters on the second floor are loose as well (the ballusters on the stair treads are tight). I cannot locate any type of threaded rod or nut in the basement and the newel post cap seems to be a continuation of the rail. The ballusters are riding about 1/4 inch above the floor and are securely attached to the hand rail.

AM I missing something whith the newel post? HOw can I solve the balluster problem? I have no carpet to hide any repairs as the ballusters rest on the hardwood floors.

I have searched the forum for a solution but was unable to find one. Sorry if this a rehash of another request for help!

Underdog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bannister problems

The balusters are riding above the floor because the floor has settled over time. Are all the balusters gapped the same or are the ones at the end have less of a gap? If they all have the same gap you might be able to fabricate a spacer the will fit under the `1/4" space. You could then match the spacer color to either the rails or the floor.
The newel post could be bolted horizontally through the floor joist. You might need to open the ceiling underneath to get to the connection.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here