Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/2 HP Craftsman Opener

Posted by mfcross (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 18:16

I have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. I'm not sure of the year but it was installed in a newly renovated house I just bought and looks brand new. The opener is in the up position and when I try to put it down it looks as if the opener tries to pull the door UP further and then the light blinks over and over again. I have tried messing with the UP and DOWN dials and it does the same thing. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/2 HP Craftsman Opener

first check and see if the "trolley" (the piece connectred to the door that slides back and forth to move the door) is jammed up against the stop bolt. If it is, this means that the up limit was too far back and the door is trying to reach that limit but can't because of the stop. The stop is there to prevent the trolley from running into the motor unit in just such circumstances.

What needs to be done is to remove the chain and let the free wheeling motor hit the up limit. Once things are reset you can reattach the chain and set the limits (both up and down) appropriately. If you're not mechanically inclined and can see what the unit is trying to do (by looking at the motor unit with the cover off), it may be best to call an overhead door repairman and have him straighten it out for you.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here