Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hole in exterior wall from wood stove flue

Posted by gw8920 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 18:06

I will be removing a wood stove from my lower level. The vent pipe goes through the exterior wall then there is a long exterior flue (round, metal, not enclosed). I'm not replacing the stove.

What do I do about the hole in the exterior wall? Should I keep the exerior flue in place in case someone wants to use it in the future? This solution avoids repairing the exterior siding and the cutout in the roofline, but I can see people scratching their heads as to a non-functional flue. Removing it all means repairing the interior and exterior of the wall. I'm not sure if I need to address the square cutout in the roof overhang. I'm not DIY so would any contractor who knows how to build a wall be able to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hole in exterior wall from wood stove flue

When we move we will be taking our stove with us but because I dont want to disturb our roof, ( we have a rubber membrane roof), we are leaving the diffuser at the ceiling and the triple wall/ vent cap on the roof in place. Whoever buys the place will have the option of installing another stove or removing the upper mechanicals.

If you want yours removed, I would seek out a reputable handyman that has experience in siding repair, carpentry, roof repair as well as painting. Make sure you check them out pertaining to the experience by getting references and referalls from friends, family, co- workers, etc who have had similar projects done and they are satisfied with that persons work. Make sure they are insured and legal!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here