Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

To paint the bathroom, satin or semi-gloss?

janesylvia
17 years ago

I am going to have a handyman paint the bathroom for me. To prevent mildew, I should have him use the satin or semi-gloss paint?

Thank you very much.

Comments (8)

• sdello
    17 years ago

"satin" and "semi-gloss" refer to the aesthetics of dry finish of the paint. Satin has a sheen similar to satin material and semi-gloss has some reflectivity (but not as shiny as a glossy finish). To the best of my knowledge the dry finish has no relation to the ability to prevent mildewing. To prevent mildew be sure there is adequate ventilation/air circulation (think about adding an exhaust fan if you don't have one) to avoid condensation and you might ask the painter to have a fungicide (bleach additive)added to whatever paint you decide to use if it isn't already in the paint.

Hope this helps.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much for your very helpful information. An HVAC contractor has just put a new fan of 80CFM above the tub. I'll ask the painter about the fungicide.

• zebra_grow
    17 years ago

Nowadays the growing awareness has led to the emergence of various types of home water filters in the market. There are various water filters which can be used at home for purification of drinking water. These days itÂs the home water filters that are ruling the roost and they generally come in assortment of designs, styles, patterns and colors. The most striking and prime point is that they are generally quoted at a very competitive and affordable price which can be afforded by anyone. This made home water filters very popular and it allows you to store gallons of water

Here is a link that might be useful: Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Systems

• jakkom
    17 years ago

I normally use latex semi-gloss in the bathroom and kitchen. Unfortunately for our last remodeling I was so tired of doing stuff I hired a "friend of a friend" painter to do the master bath. Told him the type of paint, brand and color. Being an old school type, he used oil semi-gloss before I realized what he was doing.

I was horrified by the difference. It is considerably shinier than latex semi-gloss and magnifies any/all surface imperfections. It's almost as bad as a mirror, you can actually see the lightbulbs reflected on the surface of the wall. By that time I was so exhausted, I decided to just live with it. But I would never use oil semi-gloss again for ANYTHING. The latex semi-gloss paints I used in the kitchen and second bathroom are just fine, a little bit of shine but nothing obnoxious like the oil semi-gloss.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much for sharing of your experience. I will not use the oil or flat paint. I'll use the satin paint.

• Michael
    17 years ago

zebra,

What kind of wine are you drinking?

Michael

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

A nice dry red to compliment the spam? ;)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath