Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fix wood trim dings and scratches? Pics Added

Posted by soonergirl2002 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 17:36

We just bought a new home and will be moving out of our leased home soon. I want to fix these scratches and dings before we move out. Anyone know how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fix wood trim dings and scratches? Pics Added

Minwax sells stain pens that youu can use to cover up the scratches. Sold at lowes,home depot walmart etc...

o

For the color, Old English furniture polish, buy the version for dark wood (under $5.00, available everywhere). Drops on a rag would mask the damage and you would have the bottle to feed and revive any dark furniture you have.

o

You could use a plain old crayon. Another thing I've seen the pro's use and have used myself is shoe polish. From your pictures, I would say brown shoe polish would do it. One of my hobbies is restoring older radios. I use Old English as "gammyt" mentioned and I agree, it does a great job. If you have an area where the wood is dinged and you want to bring the ding back out, use water. Just dab it on, let it dry. If its a deep dent, you may have to do it several times. Do that before applying the color.

o

Water is all you need for a ding?

o

Yes, because it swells the wood back up and out, though it probably does depend on the individual circumstance.

o

Wow! Worth a try before filling one.

o

I saw a long time ago on a show that if you take a damp towel and I think they placed it into a dry towel (think envelope) then place a warm iron onto the spot it will steam the area and the dent will be raised. I would double check this or try it on a scrap piece first. It was a long time ago I saw a show on tricks of the trade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here